Dell Dimension 5150 freezing problem

bluebottle 15:25 10 Aug 2010

Hi all
I have a Dell Deminsion 5150 which has developed a freezing problem. The pc boots correctly and after about 15 - 20 mins surfing just freeses up. I have to do a hard reboot to get going again. I have checked the event logs and everything is OK there are no errors relating to system or applications. The system does not crash and there is NO blue screen. When I switch on again Windows does not give any indication that anything was wrong. Things I have already done; hovered out all dust from fans and heatsink, used compressed air to blow out any dust around fan spindle, cleaned the old thermal paste of the heatsink & processor and replaced. I found a programmme online that can control the speed of the fan, and have up the revs of the fan, nothing seems to work. I feel that it is an overheating problem but after the above I am out of ideas. Anyone any other things I could try? Thanks in advance

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:41 10 Aug 2010

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

citadel 16:40 10 Aug 2010

i would bet on the psu as a blip in the rails causes freeze.

bluebottle 12:24 27 Aug 2010

Hi to both citadel & Fruit Bat, my apologies for not responding sooner and thank you both for your replies. An update so far, checked all the things suggested, the latter e.g the PSU I decided to try a new one: on switch on got the dreaded Hal.dll error which can be either the hall dll is corrupt or the boot ini file is damaged. Opted to replace the Hal dll, noticed that the replacement dll as smaller than the existing but went ahead anyway - still same error then repaired the boot ini file. The PC now runs ok with no freezing, however when I power off the message "Its now safe to turn off your PC" appeared and PC has to be switched off from the power switch. Went to control panel Power options and find that some tabs are missing. Have tried a few fixes that I found for this problem without success. I'm going to do a backup of all data and then reinstall the OS which should clear any other problems.
Thanks once again to you both for your prompt replies

woodchip 12:40 27 Aug 2010

Check the Hard Drive for Faults by running Disc checker set it to auto fix faults. From Double Click My Computer Right click C:\Properties/Tools/ Disc Checker

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?