Dell Dimension 4600 needing a new HDD

Giggle n' Bits 23:18 26 Aug 2006

dell dimension 4600 model has a faulty ATA Maxtor 133 HDD IDE. Looked in motherboard and noticed there was SATA connections on the motherboard and also in the BIOS.

I looked on Dell support website europe/uk and found no Drivers for SATA. So would this be deliberate or if I just stick the Dell XP Recovery CD with a SATA HDD it would have driver intack ?

What mean to say is if I replace with a SATA drive as there motherboard Bios support this insted of a IDE drive where would the F6 install SATA driver come from.

johndrew 14:04 27 Aug 2006

I don`t know if any of these will help. I Googled for SATA drivers for the Dimension 4600 and it came up with three pages click here

Amongst the entries were the following which look similar but may offer what you want:

click here

click here

click here

click here

Or this in French click here

ed-0 15:45 27 Aug 2006

best thing might be to find what motherboard it is. If you can find that, you can find the SATA drivers for it.

Try everest home, free. click here To see if it will show what make and model of motherboard you have.

Giggle n' Bits 02:48 28 Aug 2006

for DELL. I have found the driver after hours of searching on the Dell website, they need a better search engine but the Service tag numbers help well. Except for O's & 0's not looking different.

Thanks for them links johndrew & ed-0

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?