Dell Dimension 3100C

Chas49 22:38 14 Nov 2008

My cousin has one of the above computers. He has been away from home for quite a while and his kids have really messed up the computer. He thought that he had AVG anti virus, but as I found when I looed at it earlier that someone had installed the full paid version and this had not been registered - and presumably it hadn't done it's job as a result. The computer has put up a screen stating that it has 802 virus's (Virii?). I tried to put a free version of AVG on but the computer would not recognise either of my 'dongles'. I noticed that there was a 'D' Drive named Backup. Could this me a backup copy of the OS (XP)? I have just had them open the 'D' Drive but they say (over the phone) that the drive is putting nothing on screen and is, apparently, empty.

Does anyone having this model know whether there is a copy of the operating system, if so, how is it reinstalled to the 'C' Drive? Needless to say, he has lost the disk containing the OS (would there be one?) and has no paperwork with it - I have no reason to doubt what he says as I know that they have just moved house and you know how easily things are lost.

lotvic 00:26 15 Nov 2008

manual click here

owners manual pdf
Restoring Your Operating System, Using Dell PC Restore by Symantec Page 51

"Using PC Restore permanently deletes all data on the hard drive and removes any applications
or drivers installed after you received your computer. If possible, back up the data before using PC
Restore.
To use PC Restore:
1 Turn on the computer and watch the keyboard status lights.
2 Immediately upon seeing the lights flash, press <Ctrl><F11>.
If you do not press <Ctrl><F11> in time, let the computer finish restarting, and then
restart the computer again.
NOTICE: If you do not want to proceed with PC Restore, click Reboot in the following step.
3 On the next screen that appears, click Restore.
4 On the next screen, click Confirm.
The restore process takes approximately 6–10 minutes to complete"

lotvic 01:04 15 Nov 2008

Avast is a good antivirus, have a read of this thread for good advice
Safe and Clean Computers by skidzy click here

Chas49 08:51 15 Nov 2008

Thanks for that Lotvic. I'll phone him this morning. Hopefully the kids haven't scrubbed that backup - perhaps the files are hidden. Whatever Lotvic, the info is appreciated, let's hope for the best.

Chas49 10:20 15 Nov 2008

Ok Lotvic, gave him the instructions over the phone. He followed them as I told him and his computer has reinstalled XP. So, on his behalf, I thank you for the info which has saved him quite a bit of cash!

lotvic 11:08 15 Nov 2008

Thanks for the feedback, it may help someone else if they have the same problem.

Glad it's all ok now.

Chas49 14:02 15 Nov 2008

I have been to see him and find that he did restore it OK. Deleted McAfee and various internet provider links, installed AVG Free and Zonealarm and left it updating the Windows Patches. He's a happy bunny <G> - I pointed out that the info came from someone on the Advisor forum.

Actually he caused his own problem by downloading the wrong programs in the first place - a point worth pointing out to any other reader of this post. The AVG you want is AVG Free - make sure that you get the correct version. The paid version will work for free for a while but then stops correcting the virus's etc that it finds - it lists them but takes no action until you pay up.

Once again, my thanks.

lotvic 22:10 16 Nov 2008

:)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?