dell dimension 3000 rebooting itself

twd69 14:57 08 Jul 2006

I posted recently on the Dell forums but was referred to here as apparently your far more efficient!

Anyhow, my problem is I have a Dell dimension 3000 and it will reboot itself automatically without warninig every couple of minutes, its only started this in the last week or so but its impossible to run any diagnostics on the PC because the bloody thing never stays on long enough. I've not added anything to the PC everything hardware wise is as standard onboard, i only have a USB hard drive connected but it makes no difference if i do disconnect it. It happpens if i'm using the PC or if it's just stood doing nothing so its not a program im activley using thats causing it (i think). Any tips or help would be massivly appreciated. If you need any more info i'll try my best to answer any questions.

Thanks in advance,
T

VoG II 14:59 08 Jul 2006

Right-click on My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab. Under Startup & Recovery click Settings. Under System Failure untick the box in front of Automatically restart.

The next time it should not reboot but display an error code and message on a blue screen. Post the error details here.

twd69 15:02 08 Jul 2006

it is already unticked.

twd69 15:42 08 Jul 2006

Ok i've been playing with this PC and i've discovered that if i leave windows at the logon screen it doesn't reboot itself, that would suggest a virus? or driver problem perhaps. As it won't stop on long enough to run a diagnostic program i need suggestions on where i can go from here.

Thanks,
T

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?