DELL DIMENSION 2400 VISTA/XP

menopaws1947 14:08 07 Jan 2010

Hi Ok as a second comp was given back my Dell Dimension PC by a friend. As was having big probs installing BT broadband (without checking first) put in my laptop's Vista disc. It installed without probs but graphics are terrible, so far no sound and still can't instll broadband.
Have now found out no vista drivers available ?? may need to change graphics card ??? etc etc Any advice on this pleasee.
Alternative - have not got a disc, but if I get one could i put XP back on it ???????
Thanks
Sue

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:07 07 Jan 2010

1. you shouldn't be running yur laptops vista disk on another computer as its against MS licensing rules and they may well in validate your license number.

2. graphics will be terrible until you load the graphics driver for the Dell

3. you wo'nt get sound until you load the sound drivers for the Dell

4. yes you can load XP back on if you still have the licence number on the sticker on the Dell then just borrow a XP CD. and use the nmber off the DEll.

menopaws1947 19:57 07 Jan 2010

Thanks Fruit bat, I downloaded all the necessary drivers via my laptop, that is when I found out that there aren't any drivers available to use on that model of PC for vista, I just hoped that someone may have some info that might help. Thankfully dell don't have licensing numbers with their discs.

So I guess I will have to buy a new XP disc. PC Advisor has helped me over the years and hoped there was a way out of spending any more money !!!Thanks
Sue

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017