Dell Desktop Repair Loop Windows 8.1

Amer 19:07 08 Jun 2014

Hi everyone !

I am in urgent need of some assistance ! My Dell XPS 8500 desktop has recently encountered some problems: Every time I try and start the desktop up it goes through a repair loop and ends up with no outcome saying "your pc did not restart correctly" and takes you through the windows 8 automatic repair process again and again with no outcome.

I've tried booting it in safe mode ... same outcome, tries to restart but goes through same process.

It seems there is only two options now, to do a full wipe of the hard disk ( which I DO NOT want to do because I have a lot of important files and documents that aren't backed up) or the second option which is to do a PC refresh which says that no files will be deleted only applications. So I assume I will have to re-install all my software ?!

How sure can I be that if I chose the second option my files will be safe.

Many thanks for any help !

Desperate Student ...

Yousuf :)

bumpkin 19:33 08 Jun 2014

microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-system/windows-8-is-stuck-in-an-automatic-repair-loop/2310c795-d39b-460f-9e4c-c95008e5ce51

bumpkin 19:34 08 Jun 2014

The link did not work, sorry.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:46 08 Jun 2014

1. Insert the installation DVD or USB and boot Windows 8 from it.

2. In the ‘Windows setup’ page select the ‘language to install’, ‘Time and currency format’ and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on ‘next’.

3. Click on ‘Repair your computer’ and select ‘Troubleshoot’.

4. Click on ‘Advanced options’ and select ‘Automatic Repair’ and select the operating system.

Amer 20:07 08 Jun 2014

Thanks Fruit Bat,

Windows 8 is pre-installed on my desktop so no CD came with it but it gives me an option to do what you have said, do I require windows 8 on a disk to do the refresh PC option ?

Also if I do what you have said will I loose any of my files ?

Thanks very much!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:50 08 Jun 2014

refresh will not affect your files just the op system files.

Try your option first but would be better from a DVD or USB

if you know someone eslse with a windows 8.1 machine you can create a bootable USB / DVD see here

Amer 06:52 09 Jun 2014

Thank you all for your help.

I 'refreshed' my Dell computer and it is now working minus all my software I had added (MS Office etc.) Having got Windows 8 to now work, I tried to instal Windows 8.1 but it said to do all previous Windows 8 updates first. It took a while but all 109 updates downloaded and then installed. I was then asked to restart and when it got to 98% of updates applied, it said the updates had failed and it was reversing them, which took ages. Should I simply try again or is there something wrong.

I am gonig to fully back up all my data tonight before I do anything else!

Any thoughts or help appreciated

Amer

onthelimit1 08:52 09 Jun 2014

Try the sequence in this MS solution:

click here no joy, try to install a few of the updates at a time.

If

Amer 08:59 09 Jun 2014

Thank you onthelimit1...Will try that tonight

Appreciate the help

Amer

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?