Dell desktop - registry messed up

G0lfer 10:13 24 May 2007

Hi

I am trying to repair my fathers Dell desktop PC run XP Home Edition. One day 3000 errors came up when doing a weekly register scrub and when they were fixed it will not boot up properly.

I can't get it to boot up in safe mode either - I can get this menu but after selection it just hangs at the XP logo.

We don't have a recovery disk or a Windows XP Home system disk to do a repair.

My question is will an XP Pro disk be able to perform a repair or can a I use a recovery disk from my Acer PC to boot up a Dell.

Any advice would be most welcome - especially since I've had a quote of £65 for a Windows re-install from a repairs shop.

Cheers

G0lfer

johnnyrocker 10:16 24 May 2007

system restore in safe mode?

johnny.

ventanas 10:25 24 May 2007

I know it's a bit late now, but I have absolutely no faith in these registry cleaners. Renowned for getting it wrong, as you have discovered.

As for getting the system back, do you know what became of your reinstall discs? Without them I don't think you have much chance. Dell machines are too customised to use anything else, and you will not have any drivers for chipset, video, sound etc.. Neither will the repair shop you mentioned, although they can be got from the Dell web site. I would be very wary of what any repair shop intends to do, and what licence they will use to reinstall XP. You need to get assurances about this.
But have you tried contacting Dell to ask if replacement discs are available. You will have to pay of course, but it seems to be the surest way.

P1d 11:01 24 May 2007

It may be worth speaking to Dell support to see if they can help but also I've just had a quick google search and the following link came up as a result (I guessed the machine you was working on would be a Dimension but if not they have other models on there too);
click here

I've never used them so don't know how good they are, their legalities etc are further down their page including a line that says;

"We are often recommended by Dell because they recognise that we offer a valuable service to Dell customers which supplements Dells own services.

Please note; Although we are often recommended by Dell, we are in no way connected to Dell computers. We simply offer Dell compatible replacement Recovery & Restore CDs & DVDs with free technical advice & support."

Good luck.

G0lfer 11:31 24 May 2007

for the rapid replies.

The machine is a Dell Dimension 3000. As advised by ventanas I might go down the road of investing in recovery disks from the link supplied by P1d.

Ticked as resolved - at the moment !!

Cheers

G0lfer

lotvic 22:25 24 May 2007

from page 41 of the Owner's Manual for Dell 3000 that you can download from click here
""Use Dell PC Restore by Symantec only as the last method to restore your operating system.
PC Restore restores your hard drive to the operating state it was in when you purchased the computer.
Any programs or files added since you received your computer—including data files—are permanently
deleted from the hard drive. Data files include documents, spreadsheets, e-mail messages, digital photos,
music files, and so on. If possible, back up all data before using PC Restore.
To use PC Restore:
1 Turn on the computer.
During the boot process, a blue bar with click here appears at the top of the screen.
2 Immediately upon seeing the blue bar, press <Ctrl><F11>.
If you do not press <Ctrl><F11> in time, let the computer finish starting, and then restart the
computer again.
NOTICE: If you do not want to proceed with PC Restore, click Reboot in the following step.
3 On the next screen that appears, click Restore.
4 On the next screen, click Confirm.
The restore process takes approximately 6–10 minutes to complete.
5 When prompted, click Finish to reboot the computer.
NOTE: Do not manually shut down the computer. Click Finish and let the computer completely reboot.
6 When prompted, click Yes.
The computer restarts. Because the computer is restored to its original operating state, the screens that
appear, such as the End User License Agreement, are the same ones that appeared the first time the
computer was turned on.
7 Click Next.
The System Restore screen appears and the computer restarts.
8 After the computer restarts, click OK.""

lotvic 22:28 24 May 2007

It should also give you the option to burn your own Restore CD when you've gone back to factory settings and booted up the first time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?