Dell Desktop PC - Recovery Help

I,Me and Myself 22:49 29 Aug 2008

Went over to my parents' house today as they said their PC was really slow, pop ups, etc. I tried a few things and then installed Avast and ran a scan from boot up. It got to 83% and shut down. Turns out to be some malware, spyware but worse of all was a dangerous virus on their OS. Tried everything but it wasn't doing what is was supposed to so I decided to do a recovery using the supplied disk.

They are up and running again but when you click on @c@ drive now they have a recovery section which the PC says is full now and also the original partition which always housed the pre-installed Vista and lots of program files from the original set up.

Can the two partitions be combined into one or can we format the hard drive so that the original pre-installed OS and attached files are erased? If so, how is this done?

Everythime they switch on the PC they are confronted with a black screen which gives them two options to choose from. I assune that is because there are two operating systems installed. How can we get rid of this?

Sorry I am a bit vague and have no Dell model number but I'm not great with PC spiel.

Technotiger 23:21 29 Aug 2008

Somewhere for you to start perhaps click here

lotvic 23:21 29 Aug 2008

Do not format the Hard Drive or combine the partitions (you can really mess up a Dell op system doing that)
You would be better to visit the Dell Support where you can do on line scans and fix virus problems etc
Dell Support click here

The model will prob be an Inspiron ** or Dimension ** and should say so on the front of tower.
It will also have a Service tag (letters&numbers) which will be on a separate sticker on the pc tower.
I strongly suggest you read the manual, usually on the pc in pdf.
Or is also available online, if you get the model details then you can read the manual on the Dell website.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone