Dell Desktop PC for engineering PhD research, reco

hhh123kid 11:54 14 Sep 2010

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a PC for my engineering PhD research. My University has an account with Dell so I have to order from their business range.

click here

My grant allows me to spend between 1100-1400 euros on it but the more I save the more I’ll be able to keep for myself for travel and stuff.

The PC will be used extensively for 3D CAD (Computer Aided Design) and Engineering analysis jobs so a good graphics card and processor is a must. However I can send big analysis jobs to the departments cluster so if I can save money because of this that’d be great. I have very limited knowledge of the difference between how good Graphics Cards and Processors are so any advice in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

I was looking at the precision series as those are the workstations but my friend who works in IT says that the Alienware Aurora (also on the Dell business site) is a much better bang for buck deal than the precisions. Can anyone comment on this and maybe tell me if the GPU and CPU are suitable for the kind of applications I’ll be using (ABAQUS and MATLAB mainly).

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

ArrGee 20:56 14 Sep 2010

For high real-time render, the Alienware, otherwise save money and go for the Studio XPS 8100

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des Légendes en ligne ?