dell desktop and laptop vista os networking

Edith 20:39 17 Oct 2008

Recently aquired a desktop and laptop from dell with vista home premuim but despite trying for several weeks cannot get the laptop to access the files on the desktop. Both computers connect to the internet. The desktop via a BT home hub and inthernet cable and the laptop wirelessly. Desktop sees the laptop but the laptop cannot see the desktop. Only clue is that am running Norton Internet Security on both machines but when the laptop initially starts up I get a messgae from Norton that I have turned off my anti virus protection. This resolves itself one all programmes have loaded. Any help or suggestion would be welcome. Edith

Woolwell 22:08 17 Oct 2008

Had this problem with Norton on my wife's laptop and unable to share files both ways. Got round it by setting the IP address range allocated by the router in the trusted area of the Norton Firewall. I am sorry but I haven't got Norton in front of me and cannot remember precise details of how to get to trusted area.

mocha 05:33 18 Oct 2008

Hi Edith,

How to get to the trusted zone in NIS click here

Good Luck.

Edith 21:25 19 Oct 2008

Woolwell and Mocha

Thank you for your advice. Not a technical person but with the help of a freind, more knowledgaable than I, we have managed to achieve the objective.

Thank you once again.

Edith

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

These hilarious robot GIFs will be sure to make you smile

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie