Dell D630 laptop behaving very strangely - keyboard, Opera browser, JetAudio player

KrisVesel 10:58 03 Dec 2014

Hello to everyone. This is my first post on these forums.

I bought a used Dell D630 laptop a couple of months ago. It had XP installed (originally the model is listed as a Vista laptop).

I immediately installed Windows 7 as it has a few improvements I like.

It worked fine for a month or so and then one day a few weeks ago I noticed some strange stuff happening, all appearing within 24 hours (maybe all at once, but I can not be sure, obviously).

1. While using Opera browser, the URL bar started acting strangely - I could not type more than 1 or 2 characters into it, it would stop the input after that. Some other things I clicked like "history" would appear for a tenth of a second and disappear before I could select my preferred option. These things would be ok sometimes and then reappear. Chrome seems OK.

2. The music player JetAudio started to reset the song after a few seconds. Sometimes it would last a half of a song, other times it would restart immediately. After a few days, there was a day when it was OK, but after that not anymore. WMP also had AIMP3 and VLC were ok.

3. The keyboard - this is the main issue. Space bar stopped responding on and off, so between 1/4 and 1/2 of the words were joined together, the rest normally spaced apart. This was killing me... "Enter" also would not work always. The cursor keys - you would usually have to press for each move, holding it down often does nothing. In MS Word pressing Ctrl sometimes gives these brackets: {}

Anyway, I decided to install XP on the C-drive 2 days ago, replacing the Windows 7 and it seems the problems are still there. The space bar thing seems slightly better, at least upto now...

Any ideas... Can I do anything else or is the hardware seriously damaged and I have to either put up with it or chunk it. I am unemployed so I wouldn't like to buy a new one right now.

Thanks for any help and assistance

p.s. I'm sorry if my English is not always clear, I studied French and Russian, but I feel even English is good enough for a forum post...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?