Dell D600 Hard Drive Problems

2stroketim 21:02 20 Jun 2008

Help !!
3 months ago my wife dropped her D610 laptop, it still works ok but several of the keys are damaged + the cd rom didn't work. I have purchased from a work collegue a D600 minus the hard drive.
My problem is when I installed my wifes h/d I get the following message "windows did not start successfully etc, options are safe mode, safe mode with command promp etc", any option I accept I then get the next message all the way down the screen, apart from the last command which changes, see below

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\atapi.sys
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\disk.sys
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\sr.sys

etc etc

What am I doing wrong or what should I have done

Any ideas ?

mrwoowoo 00:28 21 Jun 2008

You don't mention whether you have reformated your hard drive or not.
Your operating system on your wives hard drive is configured(drivers etc) for her laptop only and therefore will not work with a different laptop.
You need to reformat and reinstall windows.
Although your O.S disc will install ok you will not be able to update it unless it is the full version.If it is an OEM version then legally you need to purchase another opertaing system disc.

ambra4 06:26 21 Jun 2008

There are a few things that you have to do to use the hard drive from the Latitude D610 to work on

the Latitude D600 and will require you to do some research and work

Reinstall the hard drive on the Latitude D610 save all the data from the drive that your wife need

and find the windows product key by Download Key Finder 1.51 run and it will show the product

key for windows on the D610 laptop

click here

Next find the Service Tag No on the bottom of the Latitude D600 machine and go to dell support

site click on drivers and download and enter the service tag # this will bring up all the drivers you

need for that Latitude D600 model, you should also download the manual

click here

Or if your works mate have the CD disk that came with the Latitude D600 that will be even better it

will save you a lot of time downloading the drivers from the dell site

As dell uses difference hardware on the same machine, for the cd drive there are 28 differences

drivers for difference manufacturers cd rom drive, for the lan and wireless card there is 22

difference drivers, for the IDE & EIDE Controllers there are 6 difference drivers base on the type of

hard drive etc so make sure you download the correct one

Once you have the CD or the drivers and software from the dell site burn them to a cd

You now need a Windows XP disc check the D610 on the type home or pro as I believe a home key

will not work with a pro disc but a pro key will work with a home disc as far as I can remember

Reinstall the hard drive from the D610 into the D600 and do a fresh XP install when requested for

the product key enter the one that you got from the D610

Once XP is finish installed, install all the drivers and software from dell site or the original CD

ambra4 06:31 21 Jun 2008

If you not sure on “How to install Windows XP”

click here

ambra4 11:34 21 Jun 2008

I would also download XP SP3 and install before installing the motherboard drivers

click here

ambra4 12:53 21 Jun 2008

Once you have finish-installing XP, SP3, Drivers, downloads the following programs and run

before installing any other software or accessing the Internet

Advanced Windows Care Personal Edition

click here

TuneUp Utilities 2008 30 days trial and run it will fix any registry problem, remove temp files etc

click here

Defrag the hard drive try this program

IObit SmartDefrag

click here

Once you have run the programs above install your AntiVirus software if you do not have a

AntiVirus software download AVG 8 free edition and update it once you can access the Internet

click here

Download Spyware Blaster 4.1 and keep it up dated Very Important

click here

Revo Uninstaller

The best software remover on the market forgets Microsoft Add / Remove program as it leave

a load of files behind in the registry, which can causes problems in the registry later

click here

Next set up your Internet connection both the Lan card and wireless and check that you can connect

If not to sure “How to set up Lan card”

click here

Now do a second defrag and load all the software that your wife required, after all the software is

install run Advanced Windows Care and the 1 Click Maintenance program from TuneUp Utilities

2008 again and do a final defrag of the hard drive and the registry

You should now set to go

2stroketim 18:58 22 Jun 2008

ambra4 - Thnx, so much to digest - your a star- will let you know how I get on.
Tim

ghoover1970 21:38 13 Nov 2010

1 Install fresh Windows Xp
2 Go to dell Drivers page with you Model
3 Use service # on Bottom of laptop if none is there let there scanner scan your PC
4 Using your custom list 1st download CPU Drivers and Bios 2nd then all the rest. and your done hope this helps I restore these daily to resale. Enjoy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?