Dell D600 Boot Problem

zarobian 16:56 29 Jul 2006

My neighbourer changed his HD abroad to a larger 40GB and now unable to boot his lappy. I noticed that at power on it gives two beeps and then displays message unable to find boot devices press F1 to retry or F2 for setup. I thought that the installer has not properly partioned the HD. I therefore repartioned and NTFS format the disc. Reinstal his WinXP Pro and every thing went fine util I switched off and switch on again. Surprsingly the same message. However at switch on if I press F12( single Boot Option) it displays all boot devices.I can then select Internal Hard Disk to boot and every thing goes fine thereafter!!!
I cannot fnd any option in the BOIS to set it to its defaults.
Any idea please?

Gongoozler 17:39 29 Jul 2006

It would appear that you can select a "One time only" boot sequence change, or a permanent change click here

zarobian 18:39 29 Jul 2006

Thanks for your quick response. Actually I am doing all that but with the acception of "one time only boot" I cannot set it to permanant boot sequence. I was therefore looking for a BIOS defaults option, which is not available.

I am sure the double beep is pointing towards BOIS or may be I am wrong.

'Z'

zarobian 18:45 29 Jul 2006

Further more prior to reformatting I did change the CMOS boot options as under:-

First boot device: CDROM;
2nd Boot device: Intermal Hard Disk;
Third boot device: Floppy drive;
and left the other unchanged.

'Z'

woodchip 18:47 29 Jul 2006

Go into windows Explorer double click the Boot.ini

It should look like this if not then clear the boot.ini and copy this and paste it in. or change it so it looks like this

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

woodchip 18:50 29 Jul 2006

Sorry it should be like this

this bit should be taged onto the line above

/NoExecute=OptIn

zarobian 18:57 29 Jul 2006

I am sure I did check the boot.ini file in the msconfig. It was looking a bit short to me. I was going to compare it with my own boot.ini file but it was too late and I left it at that. As soon as my neighbourer comes home from work I shall do that.
Thank you so very much for reminding and pointing me to boot.ini file.

Will post back. Thanks again.

'Z'

zarobian 19:18 29 Jul 2006

My boot.ini looks as under:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Mine and his is WinXP Pro. May be Home is slightly different???

woodchip 19:23 29 Jul 2006

Mine is for XP home, try both

zarobian 23:01 29 Jul 2006

I checked the lappy's boot.ini, it s exactly the same as mine. No difference what so ever. Any further ideas please?

'Z'

Gongoozler 08:01 30 Jul 2006

Does the POST beep pattern correspond to any of these? click here.

You said that you changed the BIOS boot sequence. If you go back into CMOS setup, is the boot sequence still as you set it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?