Dell computer won't let monitor out of standby

Ladyb1rd 11:16 04 Nov 2006

HELP! This is similar problem to one in a separate thread but my computer is brand new out of the box today Dell Dimension E520. I've tried running it on two different VGA monitors with the same result: neither monitor comes out of stand by mode.
The monitors don't display any BIOS. The computer starts up but there is no image or nothing, just a flashing stand by light on the monitor.
Any suggestions? Dell Tech Support is shut weekends so no help there!

Technotiger 11:22 04 Nov 2006

Hi, try running with just the bare essentials, i.e. No extra drives or usb items, like printer, cam etc. If it then starts, re-connect items one at a time.

Cheers.

Ladyb1rd 11:29 04 Nov 2006

Thanks but I've tried that. Just plugged it in without even the mouse and keyboard and still no joy!

slimbo51 12:42 04 Nov 2006

Sounds like graphic card may have come loose, or just dos'nt work from new.

Check cable is in correctly.

If on/board graphics in comp may well be M/Board Kaput.

As its new be careful what you dive into though as you dont want to invalidate warranty.

Giggle n' Bits 12:54 04 Nov 2006

only a small surge. The CMOS Batter needs to be removed and clear the CMOS. TAKE OUT THE POWER CORD from rear of machine if you do this yourself. I have seen this this week on another dell where a static charge had upset the motherboard BIOS.

With machine being so new I would call dell technical as pulling the CMOS Batt will invalidate the warranty.

skidzy 13:16 04 Nov 2006

As pointed out already,please be aware even if the case is opened...you risk the warranty being voided.

Have you tried booting into safe mode ? if so anything ?

Tapping F8 on startup will give you safemode with options.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?