dell computer wasnt shut down properly wont start.

athenrye 11:35 08 Jul 2006

my fathers computer was shut down via the big power button on the front, therfore i assume not a proper shutdown...

when he has re started it the computer wont go any further than a page of dell scrip saying that it wont go any further than the "aux point" and to cotact dell technical support

i have tried re starting again, cntl alt delet and esc but no keys will work at all

its a dell dimension 2400 desktop with XP its second hand to him and he hasnt any of the documentation and its not in warranty

any ideas to start it again in safe mode or to get round this problem
will

johndrew 11:52 08 Jul 2006

I know very little of Dell, but if they provide either an XP or recovery disk you could try a repair.

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:53 08 Jul 2006

Turn off and turn back on, keep tapping the F8 key (ignore any protestations form the computer) and you will be taken to the safemode screen. Post back if this takes you into safe mode.

G

athenrye 13:17 08 Jul 2006

sorry the F8 key didnt work gandalf

the correct wording of the script warning is
"alert! previous attempts at booting this system have failed at the checkpoint [aux ] for help please contact dell tech support"

after trying at a couple of times i got a message [time ] inplace of the aux but its reverted back to [aux ] now

any further ideas
will
thanks for your time

athenrye 13:57 08 Jul 2006

ive also posted on dells website
bit no answer for the last few hours
much better on here.......
cheers
will

GANDALF < |:-)> 13:59 08 Jul 2006

Is there a WinXP cd or is this one more of Dell's cheapo cost cuting measures?

athenrye 14:06 08 Jul 2006

he hasnt any docs or cds for the computer
he got it second hand from my brother in law, basicly to play with and learn.....

obviouly this part is a steep learning curve
stuck even finding a dell premium number to call, i hate there website.....

will

athenrye 19:52 10 Jul 2006

hi guys
just to let you know that a friend told me what to do
all i needed to do was take the battery out of the mother board, leave it for 10 min and replace it, i had to restart in bios i think but after that it was fine
so nice and easy in the end
cheers
will

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?