dell bios startup problems

jay158 18:26 12 Feb 2010

please can anyone help me. my dell E521 pc has been working fine for 3 years. last month we moved house and since then most of the time it won't get past the dell bios screen. the loading bar sticks at half way. if i then hold in the power button to turn it off and then turn it back on again most of the time it starts up without problem. occasionally it takes two attempts at this before it works. i have taken the side of the tower off and checked if anything has been knocked loose in the move but there doesn't seem to be. sometimes it works fine. i am not very computer savvy and was hoping someone could shed some light on this problem. thank you.

gengiscant 18:41 12 Feb 2010

It sounds like something got dislodged when you moved house.
I know you said you have had the side off,but it would be a good idea if you removed the power cables and put them back one by one as it sounds as if you are not getting a good connection somewhere.
Worth a try,also take out and reseat your memory sticks.

Pineman100 10:48 13 Feb 2010

If boot-up is sticking at the bios screen, this might also be early warning of hard drive problems.

I don't want to be alarmist, but I should be extra-conscientious about keeping backups of all your data - just in case.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?