DELL 9200

Blacki 12:06 30 Apr 2007

Hi
I have a Dell 9200. Spec: Intel duo 1.86ghz, 2 gb Ram, 2*160gb hardrive, 256mb graphics card, and 22 inch monitor. It has Win Vista Premium.
My problem is that while trying to fix a printer issue, the fan went crazy. It got so loud, i thought something would go bang.
In the end i powered down the system by keeping the power button pressed.
When i rebooted i got the usual warning that windows wasn't shut down correctly. I selected to boot normally.
When windows started, none of the usb ports would, so my keyboard and mouse were not working.
In the end i had to power down and start in safe mode. I again rebooted, and everything worked again
Any ideas of what could have caused this. Apologies if i haven't explained this very clear.

johndrew 18:57 30 Apr 2007

`.. the fan went crazy ..`

Which fan?

Have you physically checked it to see if the fan blade is firmly attached to the spindle?

What temperatures had the PC achieved?

Has there been any repetition?

Blacki 21:43 30 Apr 2007

johndrew

I'm not too sure how i would go about checking the temperatures that the pc may have reached. I will check the fan blade tommorrow.
Not too sure if it was definitly the fan. sure sounded like it.
And it has not happened since.

Blacki

johndrew 09:43 01 May 2007

Download Everest Home click here it will provide temperatures for CPU, Motherboard, Graphics Cards, Drives, etc., provided your Motherboard supports the sensors (most do).

Blacki 13:00 02 May 2007

johndrew

As i mentioned in my 1st post, would it be possible that a printer driver could have caused my problem.
My pc can't communicate with the printer and won't allow me to load the drivers that were supplied with it. The printer model is Dell 725 FI. Any ideas

keef66 14:04 02 May 2007

Can't Dell tech support sort it out for you??

johndrew 14:54 02 May 2007

Have you tried opening `Control Panel/Printers ans Faxes` right click your printer select `Properties/Advanced/New Driver` and follow the prompts?

However, I would still suggest you download and install Everest Home; it`s free. Fans don`t go `crazy` for no reason.

Blacki 15:58 02 May 2007

Downloaded Everest. Core temp around 17 degrees. Everything else seems to be normal. Will continue to monitor things and see if it repeats. Thanks to everyone for help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone