Dell 3100 Mem Upgrade-No boot up

ken doka 19:15 07 Feb 2007

When I have inserted the two mem sticks and then power up the start button flashes yellow instead of the usual green and no boot up. Any ideas? is there a reset or cmos pin to bridge? I hope the two 1 meg sticks are not zapped as they are brand new.

Ken

Totally-braindead 19:36 07 Feb 2007

Where did you buy them from?
Are you sure they are the correct memory for your PC?

lotvic 19:36 07 Feb 2007

Dell 3100 click here
Do not install ECC or buffered memory modules. Only unbuffered, non-ECC memory is supported.

Did you get the correct sort? (400- and 533-MHz DDR2 unbuffered SDRAM)
memory capacities (sticks of): 256 MB, 512 MB, or 1 GB non-ECC
Maximum memory: 2Gb click here
Do not install ECC or buffered memory modules. Only unbuffered, non-ECC memory is supported.

Totally-braindead 19:40 07 Feb 2007

Heres what Crucial says will work click here same as lotvics info really.

ken doka 20:00 07 Feb 2007

Another point the old memory would not work also.

Sorry about using Caps but its a cut and paste ref the spec of new mem.

MEMORYPRO - THE #1 MEMORY CHOICE

NEW MEMORYPRO 2GB (2 X 1GB) DUAL CHANNEL KIT DDR2 SDRAM DDR2-667 (PC2-5300) NON-ECC 240-PIN DIMM DESKTOP COMPUTER MEMORY

BACKWARD COMPATIBLE WITH DDR2-533 (PC2-4200) MEMORY SPEED

Totally-braindead 20:08 07 Feb 2007

If you put the old memory back on its own are you saying it doesn't work?
If so then what probably wrong is you've knocked some of the power cables. Reseat them all.

lotvic 20:31 07 Feb 2007

I agree with Totally-braindead

""amber light — Blinking amber indicates a problem with the power supply inside the computer. If the system cannot boot and there is a solid amber light, this could indicate a problem with the power connections for the CPU on the system board (see "Power Problems" in your Owner's Manual).""

check all the internal cables.

ken doka 00:42 08 Feb 2007

So far all connections power are OK. I've removed the cmos battery again so its a virgin boot. Seems more about seeing the mem in place as old and new cause the yeloow flashing alarm before power-boot up. Its not happy

Ken

terryf 09:27 08 Feb 2007

When you put the memory sticks in, did you make sure that the little clips at each end came up fully and clicked into place on the ends of the sticks, there is a little square notch in each end of the sticks and the clips MUST engage in them for the sticks to be fully home.

ken doka 18:34 08 Feb 2007

Always careful with the mem sticks since working inside my first Amstrad 1640. My other two PCs I've built have with more flexability of expansion.
This Dell 3100 is a work station for my daughter and she is far from happy in that while the old mem was only 1/2 a meg a least it worked!!
Now both new and old mem are causing this none boot and flashing yellow light and it continues a good 90 secs after power is pulled. Looks like I'll have to ring the Dell help premium line for assistance ARRhghghhh!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?