Dell 3 year Consumer Hardware Support

haricot 14:25 04 Sep 2007

I'm just about to buy a new Computer from Dell.

Is the 3 year Consumer Hardware support package worth having.

OR does it mean hours of frustration dealing with Indian call centres and then THEM deciding whether to send an engineer or not.

Wold it not be best just to have the 1 year Base Warranty and fend for myself after.

Any quickish response to this would more than appreciated.

johndrew 14:42 04 Sep 2007

Only personal opinion, but if the PC works OK for a year it is likely to continue for some time onward.

I have no idea where support for Dell is based, but the general rule appears to be outside the UK.

Support on this site is at least as good as you would pay for with a warranty and with the exclusions used probably more comprehensive.

The only other comment would be that I have seen posts that indicate Dell use hardware which is discrete to them and may not always be available from other sources.

keef66 14:55 04 Sep 2007

I'd go for the minimum Dell warranty, save some cash, and learn a bit about pc's if ever it goes wrong.

I paid for a 3 year warranty but the company went bust, so when the inevitable happened (more than once) I fixed it with the help of the good people here. Amazing sense of achievement to be had from resurrecting a dead pc!

Clapton is God 15:04 04 Sep 2007

"I paid for a 3 year warranty but the company went bust, so when the inevitable happened (more than once) I fixed it with the help of the good people here"

So presumably it was a software problem rather than a hardware problem?

PC warranties usually only cover hardware and not (third party) software.

haricot 15:18 04 Sep 2007

Many thanks to johndrew,keef66and claptonisgod for your responses.
It looks as if the general view is to stick to the 1st year Base Warranty which I think is def:the best way to go . Thanks again

ment

keef66 16:37 04 Sep 2007

Hardware twice actually.

A bizarre and gradually worsening set of symptoms turned out to be defective ram in the end. Replaced the cheapo unbranded duff sticks with some from Crucial and hey presto!

Next the graphics card fan started making droning noises suggestive of an imminent failure, so I used the excuse to replace the card with something better. (having already replaced the cpu heatsink / fan thinking that was the culprit)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017