DELL 2400 P4 Major Surgery!

Hajimemashite 13:38 28 Oct 2005

Hi all,
yes...I purchased a somewhat basic machine. However, I've been reading around and realise that I may (perhaps not without duress!) be able to perform upgrades that will let my pc have better graphics capabilities.
My pc is has the archaic PCI slots and Intel graphics (yuk). Recently it was my intention to link my PC to the home TV, but the card doesn't have either an S-video or RCA (?) output. Instead of hunting for a PCI graphics card I thought that it may be a better idea to explore the possibility of upgrading my motherboard (and from there) the graphics card.
Any ideas/advice?

Many thanks,

H

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:59 28 Oct 2005

The good:
Full-fledged Pentium 4 CPU; spacious 120GB hard drive; dual optical drives; 15-inch LCD offers strong image quality; attractive case.

The bad:
Limp speaker system; no AGP slot to upgrade weak onboard graphics chip; minitower case leaves little room for future expansion.

The bottom line:
A solid desktop for families or students, Dell's budget Dimension 2400 trades 3D gaming prowess for multiple optical drives and general functionality.

A mini tower means you are going to have to buy a Micro ATX board some of which have a modern PCI express slot for the latest graphics cards have a look click here

Hajimemashite 20:50 28 Oct 2005

Confused by the following (part of the review for the micro ATX you linked to):

The SIS 'Mirage' onboard video showed great 2D quality, but was not really viable as a 3D solution.

Is this bipassed when slotting a graphics card into the AGP slot?

Cheers.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:45 28 Oct 2005

Onboard grphics are disabled when adding a graphics card.

By the way I was not recommending that particular board just showing an example of what is avaiable, other members will have more experience with makes of board and graphics cards.

Hajimemashite 11:13 29 Oct 2005

Thanks Fruit Bat. I hear that not many motherboards (of the kind I seek - i.e. with agp slot) will fit directly in place of the one I remove. From what I understand I may have to purchase a new case and power supply also. Anyone know if this is true? Thans again...

Domo arigato gozaimasu

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?