Delivery Status Notification (Failure)

ian-inhome 15:15 03 Oct 2006

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients

I have a freeserve e mail address that I have not used for a long time but still wish to keep.
A few days ago I received a message from system administrator saying “A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients” since then these messages having been coming on a more frequent basis this morning alone I have received 7 being returned from isps all over the world. Ie dot.net au/ home net.jp/ het net.nl/ active trade.com etc
These are people that are not in my address book or known to me and I have not sent any message.
I have tried contacting orange (now owners of freeserve) on their antispam address but my messages come back as undeliverable. I have checked the machine for virus etc. Any ideas please

Carpigiani 15:36 03 Oct 2006

It would appear that spammers have 'spoofed' your email address. Unfortunately once these people get hold of your address it is very difficult to do anything about it.

Are the returned mails to [email protected] username, if so you could probably arrange for Orange to blackhole any mail not sent to a specific mailbox for your account. The other option is to cancell that account and open another one. (That is assuming that you finally manage to contact Orange)

ian-inhome 16:21 03 Oct 2006

Thanks for the reply Carpigiani.
Yes the email are to random letters before the address i.e.ciyslf@ or bedc@ are 2 examples I have found a page on Orange which has a form to fill in so I will try that. I wonder how spammers got that particular address because no mail has been sent on that one for some time.

Carpigiani 16:58 03 Oct 2006

You don't need to use an email address for spammers to get hold of it. Sometimes it is just random & you are the unlucky one, or they could have got it from the address book of someone else.

If it makes you feel any better you are not alone, it has also happened to me.

ian-inhome 21:08 03 Oct 2006

many thanks for your help Carpigiani

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?