Deliberate disconnect from internet

guesswho2 09:25 25 Nov 2008

I have just recently changed from a Speedtouch 330 USB modem to a wired router modem. No longer is there the twin monitor icon in the system tray to allow me to disconnect. What's the 'proper' method of disconnecting with a router?

Sea Urchin 09:36 25 Nov 2008

If you're using XP go to Control Panel > Network Connections > right-click on your Connection > select Properties > and tick box for Show Icon in Notification Area When Connected > then OK

guesswho2 09:54 25 Nov 2008

Thanks Sea Urchin. Presumably I could then right click and select Disable? Because I'm still an inconfident old codger, can you confirm that I'd be able to reconnect easily by clicking on Re-enable or some such? Daren't try it yet in case something goed wrong!

iscanut 10:02 25 Nov 2008

There is no need to disconnect from a router. It is always on so the connection will drop when you switch the pc off. There is no need to anything other than ensure your router is switched on when yo turn the pc on. You can choose to leave the router always switched on or power it off once the pc is off.

Eric10 10:10 25 Nov 2008

If you have a need to disconnect from the Internet while the PC is still running, then when you disconnect by way of the system tray icon it will then disapear because it only shows when connected.
You can reconnect by right-clicking 'My Network Places' and choosing Properties, right-click your connection icon and choose 'Connect'.

guesswho2 10:22 25 Nov 2008

Thanks Eric10. Your note about the icon disappearing was exactly the sort of comment I needed - you've probably just averted a heart attack!
The reason I asked the question was to find out how to disconnect if ever I needed to reinstall an antivirus program or some such.
Many thanks to Nuts too.

Clapton is God 11:19 25 Nov 2008

"There is no need to disconnect from a router."

Why not? Some people may want/need to disconnect.

I always disconnect from the internet and disable my AV whenever I'm installing or uninstalling software, for example.

In fact, I always disconnect if I'm away from the PC for any length of time.

guesswho2 13:59 25 Nov 2008

Thanks Clapton is God, that's the kind of situation I had in mind when I asked about disconnecting. Tell me, what's your method of disconnection?

Clapton is God 14:12 25 Nov 2008

"Tell me, what's your method of disconnection?"

Right click on the twin flashing monitors and choose Disconnect.

Then when I next launch Internet Explorer my modem automatically reconnects me

guesswho2 14:16 25 Nov 2008

OK, that's answered my query.
Many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?