Deleting windows old on Win7 PC

bumpkin 14:26 17 May 2015
Answered

Hi, I am trying to clean up an old Win7 desktop. Found 3 Windows old folders taking up a huge amount of disk space. 2 of them I could delete with no problems but with 1 I am getting the "You require permission from SYSTEM to make changes to this folder" the options given are "Try Again" which does not work or "Cancel" I am logged on as Administrator.Why is this?

lotvic 14:35 17 May 2015

Did you try 'taking ownership' of the folder and setting it to Full Control? if that still doesn't work to allow to delete then I'd suggest something like the free program Unlocker.

bumpkin 14:48 17 May 2015

I did not take ownership as I did not have to do so with the other 2. Will try that now.

bumpkin 14:52 17 May 2015

I cannot find the option to take ownership.

lotvic 15:38 17 May 2015
Answer

Take Ownership of a File or Folder ClickHere

Right-click the file or folder, click Properties, and then click the Security tab

Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab

Click Edit, and then do one of the following: rest of instructions on the link to technet microsoft

rdave13 15:39 17 May 2015

Running disk clean-up usually removes the .old folders.

alanrwood 16:27 17 May 2015

Google "Take ownership download". On my machine the second item is a link to a small program which adds "Take Ownership" to the right click menu in Windows Explorer. Select the file and right click then select "Take Ownership. Still have a problem try it in Safe Mode.

bumpkin 16:30 17 May 2015

Thanks lotvic, now sorted. Thanks also to rdave for an alternative.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?