Deleting web history and cookies

Sirpad 13:52 03 Nov 2008

I use CCleaner daily but I still have some web history/files that are in my history that I cannot delete.

I've looked at various posts...
click here is an example and have tried all the suggestions.

When I run CCleaner and go into history there is nothing there but when I use the 'Search' button in history and type in any letter it finds a small list that I cannot delete.

Any ideas?

provider 2 16:16 03 Nov 2008

Try RevoUninstaller (freeware), particularly the "search as you type" function. It will find bits and pieces that don`t appear in All Progs:

click here

Les28 19:51 03 Nov 2008

I don't know whether setting your home page in Internet Explorer to start with a blank page would help, then close IE, delete your temp internet files, then reopen IE and do a history search then in IE. I was thinking that maybe the small list you mention when you type any letter into history search may be related to your home page that opens when you open IE, so starting with a blank page may give search nothing to find.

Sirpad 23:47 03 Nov 2008

Thanks Provider - tried RevoUninstaller but it didn't even find the files that were in my history.

Thanks Les28 - did what you suggested but files are still there.

Les28 09:33 04 Nov 2008

It's the same files each time is it? These are URL web addresses are they ? And you can't right click and delete them ?

You could try going into the Prefetch folder in Windows and deleting everything except the layout.ini file, I had to do that once when I had a thing I couldn't remove from the history.

You are using CCleaner correctly when choosing to delete index.dat files, you do get a message from CCleaner that index.dat will be removed at next boot time ?

I think CCleaner has an option to delete User Assist Count Keys, but this site explains how to do it manually, whether it will help with your problem I don't know.

click here

Sirpad 23:33 04 Nov 2008

Les28 - thanks for the tips. Yes, some are URL web addresses and some are JPGs. Right clicking on them and choosing delete does nothing to them.

I'm a little weary of going near the Prefetch folder or deleting index.dat files. And CCleaner doesn't seem to even see them for some reason.

Les28 14:24 05 Nov 2008

I have IE7 browser and XP, to clear my temp internet files rather than using CCleaner. With the browser closed, I right click on the Internet Explorer icon on my desktop and left click properties, then on the general tab of internet properties box in the browsing history box I click Delete... in the delete browsing history box I click on the Delete all... box at the bottom of the page and then tick the box Also delete files and settings stored by add-ons. Don't know whether you've tried that way of deleting things. You would have previously had to set IE to open with a blank page, otherwise you will have items in the search history if you open on a web page and also might be an idea to right click IE icon and left click Start without add-ons to open IE that way, then do a history search.

Also don't know whether you have anything in C \ Windows \ Downloaded Program Files folder that might relate to the history items you mention.
Windows Disk Cleanup utility in System tools gives the option to clear Downloaded Program files, these aren't programs you have installed on your computer but activeX controls and applets that are downloaded from web pages you visit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?