Deleting Skype

khareji 13:06 15 Oct 2004

My sister downloaded Skype last week, but has since had problems with 'weirdos'on the phone! She decided to uninstall it but without much success and now her Yahoo Messenger is playing up. Are the two related and how can she sort it? Any ideas/hints gratefully accepted.

rawprawn 13:30 15 Oct 2004

When you say she decided to uninstall it without success, what do you mean. Is it in add or remove programs, has it got it's own uninstall, when you try to uninstall what happens ?, and what OS has she got. Answers to these questions may help to find a way.

TomJerry 14:16 15 Oct 2004

if not uninstall properly first time.

By the way, I do not think there are many 'weirdos' in Skype world. Maybe, she does not set up properly.

khareji 16:06 15 Oct 2004

rawpawn

Sorry I gave so little info! OS is Windows XP. Uninstall was via "Add or Remove Progs" but final message read "some elements could not be removed. These can be removed manually." When she reboots, the sign-in box for Skype still pops up and asks her to sign in - when she presses 'cancel' it disappears from screen but still pops back up when she next turns on her computer. Is that any help?.....Thanks.

rawprawn 17:20 15 Oct 2004

OK, assuming that Skype was installed in C:\programs go to that in Windows explorer and you will probably find some references to Skype. If so just delete them. Perhaps a better way would be to go to Start / Search, and type Skype then search and delete anything it finds relating to that program. If that doesn't cure it repeat the same thing in safe mode, if that doesn't cure it, repeat the same thing after turning off System restore. Any more problems post back with details.

[email protected] 17:26 15 Oct 2004

The bits left behind are in a folder as rawprawn says. Just navigate to it and delete it but I don't think the weirdo's are anything to do with Skype; however, the only way to get them on your telephone is to broadcast your telephone number! If this was done on the internet which is PUBLIC domain them what more can I say.

khareji 23:57 20 Oct 2004

Just had a (belated) e-mail from my sister to say that she followed your instructions and has managed to delete 31 files associated with Skype(!)and to pass on a huge THANK YOU for all your help. That goes for me also. As usual you guys have come up trumps. That's why now I don't go into panic mode - I know there's a team of friendly, dedicated helpers always available at PC Advisor who seem to have the answer to all my probs. Cheers!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?