Deleting Hard Drive Second Partitions.

Splodge 12:48 17 Aug 2008

Good afternoon all!

My original installation disk was a Sony Media Centre XP disk with two partitions. Over the years I have reduced my need to have the two and would much prefer to delete the unused part.

Is there an easy way to remove the second partition without destroying the data on the first?

I have even bought another XP (OEM) disk which I installed on another hard drive but have had great difficulty in making it work as efficiently as the original set-up.

Any easy suggestions please! Come to think of it any at all would be all right. I am backed up to an external HD so any mishaps can be repaired

mgmcc 16:39 17 Aug 2008

<<<Is there an easy way to remove the second partition without destroying the data on the first?>>>

There is no problem in deleting the second partition and doing so won't affect the main "C" drive partition. However, it will create Unallocated Space on the hard disk, the first partition won't automatically expand to take in the additional space available. You would need a program such as "Partition Magic" to modify the partition structure without loss of data in the first partition.

<<<I am backed up to an external HD so any mishaps can be repaired>>>

If your backup is with a program such as Acronis True Image, you could delete the two existing partitions, create a single new partition and then restore the Acronis backup of your "C" drive into the single partition.

Splodge 17:05 17 Aug 2008

Thanks for the reply.

I do have True Image v10 but I am uncertain how to use it to delete the two partitions and copy just the C Drive since it has copied both drives to my backup! Is there any information of a step-by-step procedure to do that?

I have searched but found nothing useful and a lot that warns against it.

Splodge 18:55 17 Aug 2008

Thanks to your comments I realised that I could achieve my object. And I have...

First I went into Control Panel..Admin Tools..Computer Management ...and found the backup drive. I then deleted the second partition (which was empty anyway) and then to Acronis.

Of course Acronis automatically deletes the partitions in the receiving drive, doesn't it?

It then copied the information from the first partition of the backup to the full C drive.

All I have to do now is copy back the C Drive to the Backup and I have just two drives without the partitions.

And I nearly bought "Partition Magic" over the net!

Thank you again. I have detailed the process to assist anyone else with the same problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

Best Photo Editing Software for iPad

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Comparatif : quelle est la meilleure batterie externe 2017 ?