deleting dual boot option at start-up

jayc1977 00:06 07 Feb 2009

Hi,

I dual booted xp onto vista but didn't like it so I formatted my hdd to delete the xp but I still get to option to start xp on boot, I looked at the boot.ini file and it only shows the xp option. if I delete this will i still get vista at boot?
Can anyone tell me what the boot.ini file is ment to look like for vista on it's own?

Thanks

lotvic 00:13 07 Feb 2009

Ouch

"The familiar boot.ini file of previous Windows versions has been replaced in Windows Vista with a new boot file called BCDedit. It is unfortunate that, unlike, boot.ini the BCDedit file is not the easiest of files to actually edit. Some would say that the boot.ini file was a nightmare, well BCDedit is absolutely horrendous. "

For more information on the Vista Boot manager click here

jayc1977 11:09 07 Feb 2009

Ok, I took the plunge and deleted the xp option on the boot.ini file then restarted and xp was still available in the boot menu, I then deleted the boot.ini file from my c: and when booted again guess what it was there!!! I looked into the BCDedit that vista uses but cant really find the windows xp option in the boot process, any help would be appreciated!

T0SH 12:28 07 Feb 2009

Try right click My Computer,Properties,Advanced System Settings ,to bring up the System Properties window , in the Startup and Recovery section ,Settings,check the default operating system is set correctly then untick the box that says "Time to display list of operating systems" or set it to zero seconds OK apply & OK out reboot you will no longer get the boot options

Cheers HC

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:01 07 Feb 2009

you need this click here

woodchip 16:34 07 Feb 2009

XP as written to the boot sector of the Hard Drive thats why it keeps coming back, it needs a editor

sidecar sid 17:16 07 Feb 2009

Download and install VistaBootPRO.
click here
Select Manage OS Entries.
You can then delete XP if it is listed.

jayc1977 23:10 07 Feb 2009

Hi,
I managed to remove xp with ABC, thanks for your advice

jayc1977 18:01 08 Feb 2009

ment to say easybcd

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?