deleting corrupted files

profi 23:52 30 Sep 2006

I have an external HD (j:/) which I use for back-ups. One of the directories contains files which are reported as not acessible, being corrupted and unreadable. I cannot rename or delete them. How can I get rid of these files? I tried opening a command prompt, but having reached the j:/ directory, I couldn't remember enough from MSDOS days to delete them.

sil_ver 00:08 01 Oct 2006

Can't you move everything readable to another drive, reformat the offending drive then move everything back again

profi 00:14 01 Oct 2006

Well, yes but ... I was hoping for something a little less drastic.

sil_ver 00:22 01 Oct 2006

I think the DOS command is DEL [drive:] [path] filename [/p]
or
ERASE [drive] [path] filename [/p]

/p specifies that DOS should prompt you before deleting

SAMPLE: To delete the file named garbage.doc from the C:\myjunk directory you would enter
C:\del \myjunk\garbage.doc

I've copied this from my old DOS book so may not work on XP

profi 00:50 01 Oct 2006

Thanks again. I think I'll have to take the advice in your first posting, 'cos I've used folder and file names acceptable to XP but not to DOS (ie with spaces)!

sil_ver 10:50 01 Oct 2006

Maybe you can use the parameter *.doc for example to delete all with the .doc suffix

Mavisk 12:07 01 Oct 2006

Try creating a new folder,then left click offending files and drag them into it,then delete.

sil_ver 12:24 01 Oct 2006

If none of these suggestions work then I guess it's back to my first suggestion. Backup what you can and reformat

rsinbad 12:37 01 Oct 2006

may help click here

profi 15:08 01 Oct 2006

Thank you sil_ver: the *.doc comes up with "invalid switch".

Thank you mavisk: they dragged successfully, but attempts to delete them were met with the same problems I had in their previous folders.

Thank you rsinbad: unlocker told me it had deleted, but it had not.

Looks like a reformat (tho I may just try Norton Disk doctor on the way past).

Mavisk 15:53 01 Oct 2006

Have you tried booting in safe mode,then deleting corrupted files?.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?