Deleting Corrupt WinXP OS

onokeck 11:53 26 May 2007

See my previous thread (23/05/07 @1948). I have printed out and followed the MS support article as reccomended by Trackrat to a point, but am unable to identify which item to delete. The following is the Boot.ini file shown on my screen at the edit stage:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\MYDOCS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Can anyone help in identifying which might be the corrupt OS and which is the one I'm running?
This is new territory for me and I'm frightened that I might delete the wrong one and have to go through all the re-installing process AGAIN!The corrupt OS was the initial OEM loading. I re-installed using my CD to get up and running again.
Casey

mocha 12:29 26 May 2007

When you initially boot the machine what message do you get on the monitor, if it times out after 30 secs. and starts up by default, what happens, does it boot into your good configuration or does it lock up.

onokeck 12:38 26 May 2007

When I boot I get what looks to be a "DOS type" screen showing two Windows XP Home Edition and asking which I want to open with a 30 second timeout running. Highlight one and it opens opens normally which is the newly installed one. If I highlight the other on a re-boot the screen just stays blank (the corrupt one I assume). Both listings are identical with nothing at all to indicate which is which. Hope that helps. Casey

MAJ 12:42 26 May 2007

Go to Start > Run and type in:

msconfig

and click OK. Click on the Boot.ini tab and click the "Check all bootpaths" button. It will check the bootpaths and ask you to remove the faulty entry.

onokeck 17:20 26 May 2007

Thanks for your input MAJ. Got rid of the corrupt drive using your instructions, however I can only boot in "Selective Startup" now. If I change to "Normal Startup" the corrupt drive re-appears. Have tried all parameters (deleting from Normal S/Up as well as Selective S/Up) and the corrupt drive returns when I select "Normal Startup" (which is what should be the default setting.) I just want to boot as normal without all the selective "countdown" hassle and to get rid of all the spare drives I seem to have collected. I now have A, C, D (old DVD), E (old DVDRW), H (new DVD and I (new DVDRW), as well as J (my external HD). Hope you can follow this!
Casey

MAJ 18:22 26 May 2007

For Reference: Your other thread: click here

Hi casey. re: the drives.

If you have a floppy drive you should see Drive A:
Your Hard drive is drive C:
If you have an external drive, it seems to have taken drive J:

Those three are OK.

It's just that your new DVD drives haven't taken the old drives' letters of D: and E: I don't know why that happened but sometimes it does, you could try uninstalling and reinstalling them.

It appears from your previous post that you had two installations of XP. You edited the BOOT.INI file ( I'm assuming that from your previous post) but did you delete the folder that the second Windows installation was installed to?

When you say you are getting a countdown at startup, do you mean the 30 second countdown? If so, right-click on "My Computer" choose Properties, click the 'Advanced' tab and click the 'Settings' button in the 'Startup and Recovery' section. Then in the 'System Startup' section, knock the 'time to display list of operating systems' down to about 3 seconds. Click OK, Apply and OK to exit. What happens then when you boot up?

taffyal 18:26 02 Jun 2007

filed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?