Deleting blank page in word

VNAM75 14:59 31 Jan 2008

How do I delete a page which is blank? Tried the help file and it says delete the page break but its confusing. How do I get to the page break and how do I delete it? Thanks

VoG II 15:05 31 Jan 2008

Tools > Options > View tab. Under Formatting marks tick All. You will then be able to see the page break.

VNAM75 15:17 31 Jan 2008

VoG™ all I get is loads of symbols dotted around the document. How do I actually delete the last page?

Diemmess 15:25 31 Jan 2008

With the "reverse P" showing.... you may have a great column starting at the bottom of the page you want to keep.

Put the cursor just after the last text and keep pressing Delete.

(reduce the magnification to say 25% and you will have another view of just how many paragraph marks are there).

Sooner or later the extra page will "disappear" and you can untick the formatting marks again in View.

Peter 15:27 31 Jan 2008

Perhaps it is just that you have a carriage return on the last page. As VoG™ suggested get Word to display all the non-printing characters and you will be able to see if there is a carriage return forcing an extra page. You may be able to get it onto the previous page by highlighting it and reducing its size (point size) to as little as 1. Alternatively you can adjust (reduce) the top and bottom margin size of the pages in the document.

Peter.

VNAM75 15:29 31 Jan 2008

Thanks Diemmess, just tried it and removed the blank page.

VNAM75 15:31 31 Jan 2008

I find word very awkard sometimes because I hardly use it

Diemmess 15:34 31 Jan 2008

Just in case you have this blank page in the middle of the document ......

Same idea applies, but reduce the magnification so that you are able to stop just before you start deleting the first lines of the next text.

NB there will not be a page break unless someone put it there, but if there is one it shows as a small dotted line with "page break" or perhaps section break at the point where it was fist inserted.
Beware of deleting a section break unless you are sure, because it may upset columns etc. throughout the document.

Diemmess 15:43 31 Jan 2008

Horses for courses. Word (these days) is now capable of doing so much more than type a letter.

Consequently you can get into a mess, confused by so many settings and possiblities.
Press on though, because in my view Wordpad is still quite complex and if you share documents with others Word is King.

If all you want is a note or something really very simple, Notepad is OK, but is very limited.

VNAM75 16:12 31 Jan 2008

Thanks Diemmess, why couldn't they have just made it right click on the page and select delete like with the sheet tab in excel?

Notepad is actually good for storing lots of rows of data for use in excel or access

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?