Deleting-Archiving old emails to free space...

nick_j007 11:36 04 Sep 2014

Hi all.

I use Thunderbird for my email and it's showing as 90% full. 1,800 MB used with 200 MB free. This is according to an email I had from 1&1 my host.

I do have sent emails for business mostly going back to 2010 and once in a while these are useful to search back on, so Ideally I'd not have to delete anything. It's the big sent list that is using up the memory I'm sure.

Is there a way to archive say the oldest 2 years worth and then delete them? This I realise might be more hassle than it's worth and to just delete them?

Your thoughts or advice is welcome.

Thanks.

Nick

Jollyjohn 11:48 04 Sep 2014

Check your account settings - under server settings - there will be a tick in a box "Leave a copy on server" untick this and messages will download to your PC and free up the space on your server.

Do not follow any links in the eMail from 1&1 - it may be a scam. Instead log in to 1&1 from your browser and check out your account from there.

lotvic 12:04 04 Sep 2014

I agree with Jollyjohn, if it's an email notification you got then it sounds like a phishing scam to get your details.

Is your mail POP3 or IMAP ?

Woolwell 12:07 04 Sep 2014

You haven't stated whether this for a domain name hosted by 1&1 or whether it is an imap or pop email account. There are different ways of doing this. I have an imap 1&1 account and have an archive folder in Outlook where periodically I drag and drop old emails and then purge the imap account.

Woolwell 12:09 04 Sep 2014

I doubt that it is phishing. If imap and domain hosted by 1&1 then they will be notifying OP that email is just about full. This is easily checked without responding to email or clicking on link. But OP hasn't provided enough information to give an informed answer.

lotvic 12:12 04 Sep 2014

It's very easy to save your emails to a folder on in your Documents folder on your harddrive. Just select them (open the folder in Thunderbird, hold down Ctrl and press A, that will bulk select all of them in the folder) then right click and choose 'Save As' and browse to the folder in your Documents and save them. These emails will then have .eml extensions and from there can be opened independently in any email client, no need to faff about with import.

You can then delete the originals in your webmail overfull box

lotvic 12:15 04 Sep 2014

I should have clarified the simple opening of .eml email files. Just doubleclick on one and your default email client program will open it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?