Deleted smaller XP partition!

JE-KM 10:58 09 Aug 2004

When I installed XP Home with an NTFS file system onto my 80gb drive, I saw that it was partitioning my drive into a 71gb partition, and an 8gb partition.

I have no idea what the smaller partition is for, but in meddling with it to find out, I have accidently erased it!

Nothing really seemed any different, and the PC worked the same, until a few hours later when the PC refuses to do ANYTHING.

When I put my Windows XP disc in, it freezes loading up the file kernel debugger.exe before I can get into the screen to reformat.

I did take a Norton Ghost image beforehand, but it was from a different harddrive on the same PC - so "restoring the image to the disk" won't work (as the source disk was 120gb with a different smaller partition size), and restoring just the partition won't work (as there seemed to be the 2 partitions).

I am confused. Why are there 2 partitions, are there supposed to be? Why doesn't Ghost back the little one up? How can I get the Windows XP disc to work again?

Any ideas?
Please help

JE-KM 11:03 09 Aug 2004

oops sorry, it made a 71gb partition and an 8*mb* partition

livewire 11:25 09 Aug 2004

The larger Partition should be the System Partition and I would assume the smaller Partition was an Extended Partition. I f you installed programs onto that partition then these programs would be lost and your system is encontering errors trying to locate them.

By defualt Windows XP does not create a partition in set-up unless you tell it to or by using a partitioning program.

I would suggest that you insert your Windows Disc when the system is booting and then select the repair option when prompted.

livewire 11:26 09 Aug 2004

Note:

I did not think an 8MB Partition was a valid Partition Size?

JE-KM 11:33 09 Aug 2004

unfortunatly i cannot get into windows xp setup, as the setup program crashes loaded kernel_debugger when that harddrive is attached.

livewire 11:42 09 Aug 2004

Ok,

Can you boot into safemode and then try to use the Setup program in a Windows Enviroment?

JE-KM 12:03 09 Aug 2004

unfortunatly the harddrive data is corrupted and I cant get into windows or boot form the XP disc.

The only thing I can think of at this stage is to use the dos prompt that Ghost gives me, and see if I can use FDISK?

cga 12:37 09 Aug 2004

Was the small partition at the beginning or end of the disk?

How did you destroy it (software)?

Am I correct in assuming that you installed on to an empty disk? Are you sure it was empty?

I am working on the guess that there was a small active partition at the beginning of the disk and WinXp then installed into a new partition. If this was the case then there may be a solution.

Do you have any partitioning tools (Partition Magic, Ranish Partition Manager)?

JE-KM 13:06 09 Aug 2004

cga,

I have partition magic but I got it free on a coverdisc that won't boot - you have to install it in windows.

I originally used partition magic to remove the small partition, and make one big NTFS partition. I then used Norton Ghost to copy the image file of my system onto the big partition.

I currently have no idea what the disk looks like. I tried to restore using Ghost again and it aborted with an error part-way through, so it is proberbly quite a messed up disk.

I just need to get to something that can remove the partitions and format it!

cga 13:16 09 Aug 2004

I don't know the version of PM that came on the coverdisk but you normally install it and then make a standalone bootable diskette pair.

What I am interested in is where was the small partition at the time you deleted it. If it was at the beginning of the disk (before the NTFS partition) then this would explain your problems.

When WinXP installs it creates a BOOT.INI file that points to the partition holding the system. If you deleted the first partition the the relative number of your XP NTFS partition has changed and BOOT.INI is no longer correct. This will stop you booting successfuly and it may also stop XP recognising your system and repairing it when booting from the CD.

There is a solution to this but, before I go into that, I would like to know if my assumptions are correct. If not then further explanation is wasted.

JE-KM 13:35 09 Aug 2004

Well...

When I booted from the disk before I corrupted it, it got through the bios check and then the screen just went black, with no more activity.

When I boot from a Ghost restore disk, it will go all the way.

When I boot from the Windows setup disk it fails on loadin the kernel degugger file (but this is only with this harddrive in the state its in).

I can't remember the order of the partitions. I though the smaller one was after it when it was originally made in XP setup.

I think it was listed as an extended partition of C:
So if I have removed the boot partition, that would explain it. But how do I get my disk healthy enough to let windows see it again?

PS I have no floppy drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone