"Deleted" files that re-appear

paulhg 15:32 22 Jan 2004

I recently cancelled my Wanadoo contract and un-installed their files. However I find that a folder called "Wanadoo", which contains a folder "user" remains in the Program folder and even if I delete it (fully), it reappears the next day. I cannot find the source of its reincarnation despite searches. I cannot ignore it because the "user" folder keeps popping up in an annoying way when I am wanting to save a file. Help please anyone ?

MichelleC 16:32 22 Jan 2004

Try deleting in safemode. (have you run spyware removers?).

Tog 16:36 22 Jan 2004

Probably, some process left behind is recreating this file on boot. Have a look at what is set to run at startup. What OS are you using?

MichelleC 15:34 27 Jan 2004

If it's still reappearing try going into registry and deleting any reference to Wanadoo. You can b/up registry 1st by 'exporting' and revert to it if needs be. RUN/ type regedit, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Wanadoo, and delete folder.

wee eddie 19:19 27 Jan 2004

use Search. *Wanadoo*

You may find it's installed itself elsewhere

dotterel 21:21 27 Jan 2004

This could be worth a try:-Start, Run, type msconfig. When the grey panels appear click the startup tab. This produces a list of all the programs that start up when you switch on. Uncheck any one that refers to Wanadoo.

paulhg 19:26 28 Jan 2004

Thanks Michelle, nothing in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE but in HKEY_CURRENT_USER/RemoteAccess/Profile/ there are 2 folders Wanadoo and Wanadoo2. These contain files that appear to be to do with connections, one is called autoconnect. Could I delete these without risk as I am no longer with Wanadoo ?
Thanks also to Wee Eddie and Dotterel but no dice there I'm afraid. Thanks all. Paulhg.

Terry Brown 19:34 28 Jan 2004

No problem. Remove the wanadoo software from your registry, then run a registry search for other copies and entries. You will be suprised at the places it is installed.It would be advisable to get a system checker (something like Norton Symantic) to chck your system and remove dead registries / shortcuts etc

paulhg 19:54 29 Jan 2004

Thanks to all for your help. Michelle and Terry provided the final solution which was to find and deal with an amazing collection of files hiding n the registry. After deleting these and running a registry clean-up programme, I seem to have finally severed the annoying link with the former provider, which was being rejuvenated every time I went on line. Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?