Deleted Files not Showing in Recycle Bin

griffon 56 14:38 03 Nov 2006

Whilst re-organising folder contents a few days ago I had to delete a lot of duplicate files. They were too big for the Recycle Bin so I deleted them in sections. They didn't appear in the Recycle Bin and I thought that was because I was deleting them direct so I wasn't concerned.

Later when using Evidence Eliminator to shut down it stopped at the 'Empty Recycle Bin' stage and reported that there were 400 odd files there and the that the limit it could get rid of was set at 200.

I looked again but there were no files listed in the Recycle Bin. How do I get to see them again, just in case I might want to restore any and also to get rid of the holdup when using EE?

ACOLYTE 14:47 03 Nov 2006

If they were to big for the recycle bin,then you may have bypassed that and deleted them all off the pc,you should get a pop up if an item is to big to fit in the recycle bin and ask if you want to delete permanently.

If so then i dont know how you would get them back
maybe some 3rd party software could do it.

griffon 56 16:30 03 Nov 2006

Hi Acolyte, I think you may have mis-read the post. I thought that I was deleting the files completely in the first place and didn't expect to see them in the recycle bin.

I was surprised to see that Evidence Eliminator had apparently found them where there was no indication of them.

I'm not concerned about these particular files but I don't want a recycle bin which I can't control and which shows no files when it is actually holding some.

The bin has always behaved correctly up to now and has never displayed this feature before. I want to get it back to where it ought to be, so if I do put something in which I want back I can see it there and recover it. Any more ideas?

anskyber 16:37 03 Nov 2006

click here;en-us;168570

anskyber 16:38 03 Nov 2006

click here Ill try again.

griffon 56 16:41 03 Nov 2006

Thanks Anskyber, I'll try it. Regards.

anskyber 16:42 03 Nov 2006

Check that it applies to your OS

rdave13 16:45 03 Nov 2006

Also try right clicking recycle bin icon on desktop, properties, and make sure the box for "do not move files to recycle bin", is unticked.

griffon 56 00:50 04 Nov 2006

Thanks Rdave done that. That wasn't it.

griffon 56 01:02 04 Nov 2006

Sorry Anskyber, it seems to apply to the NT/2000 series. I'm using 98SE.

rdave13 01:18 04 Nov 2006

Try this; Right-click the Recycle Bin icon and select Properties, now select the Global tab and ensure the check box for Display delete confirmation dialog box is checked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?