Deleted files

coxonsglasses 20:55 22 Aug 2006

Hi everyone,
Following on from my previous post about Windows not loading up my personal settings, I've managed to fix this particular problem by carrying out a system restore.

However, a whole folder full of files seem to have been deleted by my laptop during this whole thing.

I've managed to retrieve my most important folder with all my uni work in it, but my 'other' folder, with mp3s and photos and other important to *me* things has disappeared completely from my hard drive.

I've searched using the Windows facility for files that I definitely know are in the folder and no matches have been found. I've since downloaded PC Inspector and, despite extensive searching in both the location the folder was in (my desktop) and specific searching for certain files, it's again bringing up no matches.

Does anyone have any ideas as to where the folder has gone? Or has it actually deleted itself? I hope not, I really do :(

Thanks in advance for any replies - hopefully, the folder can be retrieved!

VoG II 21:03 22 Aug 2006

Try Drive Rescue click here

Run it from a different drive e.g a floppy.

skidzy 21:03 22 Aug 2006

You might find some of your images and mp3's with Picasa2 click here not a dead cert,but retreive some of your lost pics.

This may be of use also click here

Good luck

Jackcoms 21:06 22 Aug 2006

System Restore, as the name suggests, only restores system operating files to an earlier state/time. It does not affect program files.

You did, of course, have a backup of your important files didn't you ??......

coxonsglasses 22:05 22 Aug 2006

VoG - after reading other threads about similar problems, I've downloaded Drive Rescue. Only thing is, my laptop decided to restart itself with the message 'Operating System Not Found' - it's currently scanning C drive next to me... *rolls eyes*
Skidzy - Have downloaded those programs, thanks very much.
Jackcoms - I had a back-up of my important files, yes, but I didn't think I'd be this annoyed if my mp3s ever got deleted. Turns out I am, and it makes me wish I had kept a back-up of them too :(

Harpur 23:23 22 Aug 2006

these were given to me by fruit bat for the same problem. running disk inspector as we type

Harpur 23:27 22 Aug 2006

sorry forgot to paste them.
disk inpector
click here

pc inspector
click here

Harpur 02:12 23 Aug 2006

whenever i get a file it is in a format that is unreadable. is there any way to change this

coxonsglasses 16:29 23 Aug 2006

Despite running the programs, it still says the files aren't there at all.
I kept them on my desktop with the profile Chris, so surely they'd be at C:/Documents and Settings/Chris/Desktop? Because, if so, I can't see them :(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?