deleted data on hdd

johnnyrocker 23:41 03 Mar 2006

my question is out of curiosity but prompted by a relative who says "how can i permanently delete data from my machine" my comp knowledge is limited but learning every day, it would appear that a guy who knows whats what could come in and operate pc and access all previously deleted? data, my question is (providing i am not out of order posting this here) is how does one do this?

johnny.

rdave13 00:02 04 Mar 2006

Quite simple really. Just Google for a program to "undelete" deleted files! If you wish to scramble "deleted" files so as not to be able to "undelete" them then Google for such a program. Am I making sense...:)

johnnyrocker 00:08 04 Mar 2006

i think so but tis a tad late will check tomorrow but thanks for the posting.the other side of the coin is how does one make sure deletions are non recoverable?

johnny,

007al 00:16 04 Mar 2006

click here
I used these to recover everything i lost.
This was just one i found to permanently delete click here
There are many others.

Kev.Ifty 00:19 04 Mar 2006

When you delete a file it is not erased. What is erased is the information that points to the location of the file on your hard drive. Your operating system uses these 'pointers' to make a directory structure which consists of the pointers for all the files on the hard drive. When you erase the pointer, the 'erased' file becomes invisible to the operating system.But that file still exists, the operating system just doesn't know where to find it.

To recover files one can use software such as click here

To prevent recovery... There are also programs available. click here

Kev.

450223 06:58 04 Mar 2006

Use a KILLDISK program to (as far as possible) kill every thing on the HDD several passes even! You will then need to re-partition the drive & format! click click here

johnnyrocker 10:53 04 Mar 2006

my thanks to all, i shall send the info on.
have a good weekend.

johnny.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?