Delete WINNT folder after Vista install

HighTower 11:59 07 Mar 2007

This is an annoyance rather than a problem! Have installed Vista on one of my PC's. During install the Vista installer kindly renamed my previous Windows installation to Windows_old, so I could refer back to it incase I'd missed backing an item up. It seems that my documents and settings, and program files went in this folder from the old XP install.

My main windows directory was WINNT, as this PC started life with Windows 2000 on it, then XP, and now Vista. As Vista has installed into the C:\Windows folder I no longer need this WINNT folder so want to delete it.

BUT, I don't have permission to remove it! I've tried command prompt from safe mode, changing the security settings and permissions of the folder etc but no luck.

It's not that important, but it's a few gig of HD space I could reclaim.

Any ideas?

xania 14:10 07 Mar 2007

Have you tried deleting the contents of the folder - it may be that the permissions set one any one of these may be causing your problems. Of you delete individual folders first, this may point you in the right direction.

HighTower 14:54 07 Mar 2007

Thanks for your idea there, have got rid of all of it now except one folder - it's an NTUninstall folder and I don't have permissions to do anything with the contents.

I am logged on to Vista as the administrator.

xania 17:00 07 Mar 2007

If you type <Deleting NTUninstall folder> into your search engine, you'll find loads on this problem.

HighTower 19:21 07 Mar 2007

The problem was that the NTUninstall folders were related to the previous installation of XP rather than the new Vista, so Vista didn't register them as being part of the OS.

I managed to track it down to around a dozen files and after going through each one, changing the owner, setting permissions etc (with Windows Defender asking me "Allow or Cancel" every 10 seconds!) I finally managed to delete them all.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

xania 12:46 08 Mar 2007

Can you please mark this as resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017