Delete reduncant system files in Vista Home Editi

John Ross 20:27 06 Feb 2010

I have had Vista 64 Home edition on a Dell PC for a few months.

I put the old internal hard drive from my previous PC running Xp, into the new PC, to use as a slave drive. this works OK. However, I now need to create more space on this old drive by removing the old system files. For instanc eI am just now trying to delete the Program files directory and everything in it.
something keeps resetting the folder / files property back to "read only" afer I have reset it in Properties.
I am then not allowed to delete the Program files folder.
Currently I am working through the thousands of fiels in this old and redundant Program files folder to see which are causing the problem : already I can see a handful such as files called Identity-H and Identity-V in Adobe subfolders. Again, Propertied revert to read only after I have changed this.
Any advice would be great!
Thank you!

Technotiger 21:31 06 Feb 2010

The program files folder being part of the OS, I don't think you can delete it. However, there should be nothing stopping you from uninstalling all the individual programs in the Folder, this will create more spare space.

I would not advise deleting any System Files!

Technotiger 21:33 06 Feb 2010

Or - you should be able to re-format the old drive, this will get rid of everything on it.

Zeppelyn 21:50 06 Feb 2010

Move everything off it you want temporarily then format the disk from within Vista then move back the stuff you want.

John Ross 19:09 07 Feb 2010

Thank you : looks like it will owrk, but is taking hours to do.
Whilst transeferring the files I want to keep I also ran into the "filename is too long so vista is so useless it won't let you do anything to this file" message, which meant more files have to be blitzed by beign formatted over.
As Vista Home edition is so useless I wonder when it will be worth taking a chance with Windows 7, or is it equally fristrating in these cheaper verions?

John Ross 19:09 07 Feb 2010

Thank you : looks like it will owrk, but is taking hours to do.
Whilst transeferring the files I want to keep I also ran into the "filename is too long so vista is so useless it won't let you do anything to this file" message, which meant more files have to be blitzed by beign formatted over.
As Vista Home edition is so useless I wonder when it will be worth taking a chance with Windows 7, or is it equally fristrating in these cheaper verions?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017