delete partition

weemacs 14:38 25 Feb 2006

How do I delete a partition

AndySD 14:48 25 Feb 2006

Which Operating System and what do you want to do with the disk space occupied by the partition at the moment, also how many partitions do you have and which is the one you want to delete, also what is the make of the pc and do you have the full version of the operating system orrestore disks

weemacs 15:07 25 Feb 2006

I was installing windows 2003 server on a virtual pc on my laptop a dell inspiron 6000. Somehow some of the install got on to my hard drive. When I boot up now I get the option to open with xp or 2003 and when it goes in to 2003 it then goes to where the install stopped F3 to quit etc. I am assuming this means a partition has been created for it and delelting that partition is the only way to get rid of it.

AndySD 15:13 25 Feb 2006

No its not a partition its an entry in a file called boot.ini and you can edit this to remove the 2003 entry.

Go Start then Control Panel then System then Advanced click on Settings in Startup and Recovery in Ststem startup click on edit copy the text and post it here.

weemacs 15:24 25 Feb 2006

Andy, thanks for your help. here is the text

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=5
Default=C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition Setup"

AndySD 15:52 25 Feb 2006

[Boot Loader]

Timeout=0

Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS

[Operating Systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

AndySD 15:54 25 Feb 2006

I have added extra line spacing to make it simpler to read on this page.

weemacs 16:49 25 Feb 2006

andy

I have done this and saved the changes. Rebooted my laptop and now the dell front end screen comes up and then a black screen comes on"Loading P" done" keeps flasshing up in the top left hand corner in a loop.

AndySD 16:54 25 Feb 2006

Ok since its a Dell you only have the restore cd's? for XP Home

weemacs 17:05 25 Feb 2006

What is it I need to do. Not at all sure if I even have a restore disk for the laptop which is xp home. I have other dell restore disks for desktop pc's which is xp pro

weemacs 17:41 25 Feb 2006

Andy
Is it possible to boot to dos and repair the boot ini file from there. What is it that is wrong with the edited file. Help, really need this to work and don't want to have to wipe it all especially as I don't seem to have a restore disk.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone