Delete old Windows files after upgrade?

Pineman100 18:22 03 Feb 2010

yesterday I installed Windows 7 to replace Vista (hurrah!). I did a clean install rather than an upgrade, then copied all my data back to the new installation.

However, the installer saved my entire previous Vista system in a folder called Windows.old. This folder is now occupying some 55GB of my hard drive.

I'm not sure that I can see the point of keeping this very large chunk of old stuff. I have a full backup of my new installation, including all my data, so - if you were me - would you go ahead and delete Windows.old?

GaT7 18:23 03 Feb 2010

Yes, I would. G

PP321 19:04 03 Feb 2010

Yup. start afresh, i did the same and I also had a hesitent "delete" finger haha, but i kept my music and videos and deleted the rest, glad i did.

mooly 19:27 03 Feb 2010

Did you use the W7 disc to format your HDD ?
I suspect not, as that is why you have a windows old folder.
Yes, if there's nothing you want in there then delete it.

User-312386 21:06 03 Feb 2010

Sounds like you did an upgrade to me and not a clean install!

But yes delete the .old file

Pineman100 09:22 04 Feb 2010

Yes, I used the W7 disk for my new installation of Windows. It came free from HP, together with a utilities disk that contained a bios upgrade and various new drivers. This was part of the deal when I bought the laptop a few months ago.

I had to run the utilities disk first, then insert the Windows disk and choose upgrade or format/new install. Finally I had to run the utilities disk again.

I suspect it was the utilities disk that created the windows.old folder. The instructions that came from HP strongly recommended an upgrade installation, rather than a format/new install, because the latter would lose all user data files. I saved my data on my external HDD and did a format/clean install.

Anyway, many thanks for confirming my thoughts on this. I shall go ahead and delete the .old folder.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?