Delete EISA partition on ex-laptop's HDD

Babou 15:48 17 Mar 2009

I'm using the HDD from a defunct laptop as an external drive (Vista Home Premium) and would like if possible to delete the EISA partition and reformat the drive as one partition. I have already reformatted it, but the EISA remains.

It seems as if the MS app diskpart doesn't work on external drives, and the only other thing I've come across is a Linux app.

Does anyone know of any other way of doing this, or do I just have to put up with it? It's sort of annoying knowing there's a good chunk of space on the drive used up by this ghost partition - 6.99Gb according to Disk Management.

DieSse 17:18 17 Mar 2009

Delete both the existing partitions with Disk Management, then create a single new one. Then format it.

Babou 17:52 17 Mar 2009

Thanks, DieSse, but I tried that first. When you right-click on an EISA partition in Disk Management, the only option is "Help".

When the disk was part of a laptop it was split into two drives - C and D - and I deleted those partitions and reformatted as a single drive. But that didn't get rid of this EISA partition.

This is from a Microsoft article about managing them: "The EISA partition is protected by Disk Management from being damaged in any way when it resides on a dynamic disk. The EISA partition can be re-created only by using an Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) system EISA utility, not by using Windows 2000 Disk Management. Deleting and re-creating any partitions on dynamic disks outside of Windows 2000 could lead to data loss, system startup problems, or an inability to boot."

The thing is that this doesn't need to boot any more, so the EISA partition doesn't need to be there .... but how to get rid of it!

DieSse 19:22 17 Mar 2009

Apologies - I should have read more before commenting.

I suggest you do try the Linux route, with a Live CD including Parted Magic.

You boot up with the CD into Linux, then do the partitioning you want, then reboot back into your regular OS. I've done a couple of Windows systems via this route, and it worked fine.

click here

DieSse 19:27 17 Mar 2009

Or try Killdisk -

This writes a drive back to zeroes removing all partitions etc on the way.

Killdisk

click here

'twill take a fair time.

Babou 21:10 17 Mar 2009

I didn't realise you could use Linux apps on the hoof like that. What fun! I'll give it a whirl next week and let you know how I get on. Cheers!

skidzy 22:01 17 Mar 2009

Or Dban click here

Babou 22:52 17 Mar 2009

skidzy that sounds dangerous!! "DBAN will automatically and completely delete the contents of any hard disk that it can detect" - yikes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?