Delay in starting boot-up process

mistico 15:54 12 Jan 2008

I have a 4 year old Dell Dimension 4600 running Windows XP, with Norton 360 enabled. Recently,on pressing the tower start button absolutely nothing happens for up to 10mins. Green lights then flash and on repressing "start" the boot-up process proceeds as normal.Apart from running slowly all else appears OK.On switching off and restarting immediatly there is no delay. If I wait 3hrs there is a delay of 6min., and overnight it is again ca. 10min. Taking off all peripherals makes no difference. Dell have sent an Engineer on site and replaced the motherboard and CPU to no avail! Similarly it has been sent to their workshop for the same changes and although their report was that all was OK, I suspect they did not wait a few hours before retesting. Has anyone else experienced this - if so I should like to know of any solution? Thanks

Technotiger 16:19 12 Jan 2008

Did they not check the PSU, because that looks as if it is on the way out.

mistico 16:37 12 Jan 2008

So far as I know , only the motherboard and CPU

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:11 12 Jan 2008

Dell PSUs are notoriously poor, so at 4 years old and with those symptoms I would renew the PSU.

If renewing a PSU check:

1. The physical size of your PSU, some are hard to replace due to being a non standard size.
2. The amount of power need from the PSU don't skimp

1. Physical Dimensions

Besides the specs and form factors, the physical dimensions are also important factors in selecting a compatible power supply. Here is an outline of the physical dimensions of most standard power supplies:

# ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.
# Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.
# MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable with ATX or miniATX.
# Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case specs; often not interchangeable.

Use the data above to determine if a particular power supply would fit your case.

The quality of a power supply can be estimated by its weight. While this is not a true scientific or thorough measurement of the power supply reliability, it is nevertheless a very simple and easy way for ordinary PC users to estimate and compare the quality of a power supply.

2. Power supply calculator click here

Guide to changing PSU
click here
click here

mistico 15:14 16 Jan 2008

My thanks to Technotiger and Fruit Bat. Problem solved with a new PSU!

Technotiger 17:42 16 Jan 2008

Grreat, thanks for the feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?