Delay in booting

mrg 15:04 17 Jul 2006

I have a pentiumII 266 with 128mb of RAM. I use Windows ME. Recently everything has slowed down so it takes nearly 15 minutes to fully boot up and the mouse is very sluggish. Programmes take a long time to load and the mouse seems to have a mind of its own. I've scanned with Mcafee Virus scan and Lavasoft ad-aware and nothing found. However Spybot shows a problem at HKEY_USER\Default\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Active Desktop\NoHTMLWallPaper!=W=1.
Spybot shows it has fixed the problem, but when I next use computer the problem is still there and Spybot shows the same problem. I've tried scanning in safe mode but Spybot aborted the cleanup.
Can anyone help me please.

Jackcoms 15:08 17 Jul 2006

Clean up the registry with click here

Clean the crap from your PC with click here

Use msconfig to disable programs/applications you do not need at start up.

Defrag the HDD.

Chris147 16:03 17 Jul 2006

Sypbot will clean up this problem - but ME uses Syetem Restore at startup. You need to turn this off until the problem has been fixed.

I can't quite remember for sure, but I think you turn it off via the System Properties dialog box (it's in one of the sub menus).

HTH

Chris.

mrg 15:17 18 Jul 2006

Jackcomms. I've done all that before with no result.
Chris. I've disabled suystem restore as you suggested. Spybot finds and repairs the problem, but when I reboot and run spybot, the problem reappears. For some reason spybot is not repairing the problem or it is reinstalling itself some how. sorry for the delay in replying.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?