delay before boot

cheekyone 08:51 10 Jan 2005

Have suddenly acquired a problem when starting my computer.Press power on button,OK computer springs into action,fan starts whirring,monitor shows pentium 4 picture then nothing happens for about 2 minutes.After that time then the normal screens for showing devices and all that,then finally the welcome screen.Definitely no HD activity before the device listing screen,can live with it for now but would like to know if there is anything I can do to sort out.

jack 09:29 10 Jan 2005

Tjis is now becoming a common complaint.
No real conclusions as of yet.

Some said it occurred after SP2

Others said it happened after taking out ditto.

I happens to me.

Yesterday I reloaded XP Pro for other reasons

It still takes long enough to brew another coffee
Big progams to load and check I guess.

€dstowe 09:32 10 Jan 2005

Have a look at System event viewer to see what is going on during this delay.

Right click My computer and click: Manage -> System Tools -> Event viewer -> System.

cheekyone 09:52 10 Jan 2005

Thanks for prompt response,the problem as far as I can tell happens before anything like Windows has started.Have checked event viewer as suggested nothing untoward.Computer works fine once up and running,just when I boot up or re-start....

€dstowe 09:59 10 Jan 2005

Have you looked in the other two categories in Event Viewer?

If everything looks OK then, in the absence of anything untoward, I'd switch on then go and make a cup of tea while it does its stuff, as has been suggested.

cheekyone 10:03 10 Jan 2005

A topical idea,thanks for the advise anyhow will let you know if I discover anything.

ferrispedro 10:24 10 Jan 2005

Whilst following €dstowe's advice I found an enormous amount of information entries going back months.Is this normal?Peter.

€dstowe 10:47 10 Jan 2005

Yep, perfectly normal. Don't try to remve it or anything like that.

ferrispedro 12:44 10 Jan 2005

Thanks €dstowe,Peter

jack 15:22 10 Jan 2005

€dstowe says look at event viewer.
The others replied they had etc.

I understood the original question was a long boot up time.

That is between the end of P.O.S.T and Windows
starting
This is what is happening to me long before Event Viewer can relate anything, or have i got the sticky
end again?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:45 10 Jan 2005

Delays in boot very early on can be attributed to probems with the Hard disks BIOS struggling to find operating system.

Make sure they are set up correctly in BIOS and its worth a good disk cleanup and defrag.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?