Del Media direct issues

Internetwhizzkid 21:57 17 Jan 2007

Hi,

for some reason the media direct button doesnt work on my dell inspiron 6400 notebook. so i uninstalled the software. I am now trying to install it again with the backup dvd i got. Now for some reason it says i have it installed, but i dont.Even after a few attempts and reboots it still says the same.

Can someone help me out

Thanks
Ben

Al94 22:17 17 Jan 2007

There is no need to post a second thread. Did you try the repair link that I gave you? I doubt if you uninstalled Media Direct as it's on a hidden partition on your hard drive - Windows can't see it. You cannot reinstall it from the backup cd. If you have somehow deleted that partition you will have to obtain a CD from Dell with Media Direct software on it. the Dell repair link should sort it.

skidzy 22:19 17 Jan 2007

After any uninstallations you need to clean the registry for any obsolete left over registry entries,these maybe causing your conflict.Try using ccleaner and reboot before reloading the software.

ccleaner click here
Cleanup click here

Al94 22:20 17 Jan 2007

That has got nothing to do with his problem skidzy, Media Direct is installed in its own hidden partition and runs outside Windows.

Al94 22:23 17 Jan 2007

More info here click here

skidzy 22:37 17 Jan 2007

you are quite right,and if im correct its used to make the backup cd/dvd on a once only basis unless a recovery disc is used back to factory settings..therefore given you the option again.

I also have a Dell Inspiron 6400 (not with me at the moment) and have made the recovery disc and also had one sent from Dell.

Basically Ben,the Media Direct should be used when you first bought the machine and you should have been prompted to do so.This would have made a recovery disc,hence the above.

However,you may be lucky and get away with a repair.Try pressing F11 on startup,then you may receive 3 options to repair/recovery

Be careful as one of these settings has a destructive recovery,basically again resetting your lappy to factory settings,losing all data/files/pics etc.

Al94 22:57 17 Jan 2007

I'm afraid you are totally on the wrong tack skidzy. Dell Media Direct is an application that runs outside windows to play DVD's music and show videos and photographs without booting into Windows. It has nothing to do with making back up cd's.

skidzy 23:03 17 Jan 2007

Well ..i beg to differ,unless we are getting crossed wires.
Once my Dell booted from new,i was welcomed by the Media Direct welcome screen and was promptly advised to make the backup/recovery disc via Sonic Recording suite.

However,ive never used the media direct button,so i must admit im a little blind to this.

I know what i shall be trying once the dell is in my hands again.
So your actually saying,press the Media Direct Button and you can play dvd/cd's without going into windows !

Al94 23:11 17 Jan 2007

That's right

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone