Defragmenting Windows 98 SE

Tankie 74 19:34 25 Mar 2007

I gave my old computer to my grandaughter 18 months ago. It hasn't been defragged since.It running rather slow and want sat least defragging. I have done Disk Cleanup OK but I always had a problem with defragging when it was my computer. How do I find out which programs are running and how do I stop them before defragging? I appreciate that the defraging will take many hours.

Peter 19:44 25 Mar 2007

I too am running Windows 98 SE and when I defrag I find turning ZoneAlarm of help stop continuous restarting of the defrag process. If this doesn't help try running defrag in Safe Mode. You will need to tap the F8 key several times while the computer is booting of press and hold down the Control key while booting.

Peter.

VoG II 20:07 25 Mar 2007

Or use Diskeeper click here

trisha01 22:49 25 Mar 2007

The only way I could defrag my old win 98 pc was to defrag it in safe mode, otherwise it wouldn't defrag properly and would take hours. If it hasn't been defragmented for a long time it will take ages, but make sure that it is done on a regular basis after that.

woodchip 23:23 25 Mar 2007

As above Start in Safe mode and run it. it's faster

wee eddie 09:01 26 Mar 2007

to turn off things like Screen Savers and disable the Energy Saving functions for the duration.

Wak 13:29 26 Mar 2007

If you wish to make the Defrag of Win 98SE more stable and about 10 times faster, use the Defrag.exe file from Win ME.
click here and read all about it.
I've used the Win ME version for about 5 years now with no problems.

Tankie 74 10:32 11 Apr 2007

Thank you for the advice. I was unable to do anything until yesterday due to the sudden death of my wife. Grandaughter's computer now faster.

woodchip 11:27 11 Apr 2007

Really sorry to hear that, I lost mine in 1994. But cannot get over it, just short of forty years. But had a Bad day yesterday

Wak 12:10 11 Apr 2007

Very sorry for passing of your wife.
We've been married for 53 years and are still together so I can understand how you must feel.

p;3 13:45 11 Apr 2007

sorry to learn about the sudden death of your wife; ::((

have you been able to successfully completley defrag the computer?

and if so, suggest it gets a frequent defrag to help it keep a good speed

P3

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?