Defragmenting HD?

User-1BD6D3E1-0CC3-49F6-BF40FF97E4E996B4 20:47 11 Mar 2007

I have AVG 7.5 internet security suite and was wondering should virus scanner and firewall software be deactivated while defragmenting a HD?

I know it may sound a stupid question but you often get programs that say before installing disable them.

Terry Brown 20:51 11 Mar 2007

I always leave my anti-virus & Firewall activated when defragging.

If you do decided to turn off the programs ensure you are disconnected from the internet, to prevent any virus /trogan infection.
Terry

Technotiger 20:56 11 Mar 2007

Hi, no they should not be turned off. But a better way to keep your harddrive defragged is to use iObit Smartdefrag from click here
I and many other Forum members use it all the time, it works quietly in the background and is much quicker than Windows defrag. Very easy to use.

Technotiger 20:58 11 Mar 2007

PS - I would not bother with Advanced Windows Care from that same link, just iObit Smartdefrag.

Thanks to all for the advice.

staples printer cartridge 13:01 12 Mar 2007

I have tried this twice and both times I have problems with system crashes and am therefore wary of this type of program running in the background. Is Smartdefrag better?

Snec 13:12 12 Mar 2007

click here for the best defragger I've ever used, by far.

staples printer cartridge 20:50 17 Mar 2007

Is a defragger really worth £20 for a home user?

Technotiger 20:55 17 Mar 2007

iObit Smartdefrag is superb - I have it running all the time on my pc. And of course, it is Free.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?