Defragmenter schedule problem.

weedman 15:01 31 Mar 2010

When I try to set the disk defragmenter to run on a schedule say 14th of each month it comes up
Run 11am on the 14th of every month but below that it comes up
Next scheduled run - NEVER and then doe's nothing
so I still have to do it manually.
OS is Windows Vista H/Premium.
Any suggestions will be welcome.

ame 17:00 31 Mar 2010

Vista's defrag program is rubbish. Use Auslogics instead click here and you can optimise as well as defrag your drives.

weedman 17:24 31 Mar 2010

Thanks I will try that out.

maghemite 17:44 31 Mar 2010

This is a common Vista defragger problem, but there doesn't seem to be an ideal solution. It could be that the services required for defrag are not active (most likely), or that the task scheduler is not working properly. Also, I think if the computer was turned off at the scheduled time of a defrag, it will not defrag at the next scheduled time either (strange, but true).

Back when I used Vista for a short period (thankfully!), I used Diskeeper 2009 for defrag. I run XP currently, and DK 2010 is the one I use; it's excellent...fragmentation prevention is one of its features, but it's not free.

ame 18:44 31 Mar 2010

Under Settings>Algorithms you can set Auslogics to delete temporary files first and to move system files to start of disk. Under Action you can defrag and optimise. You only need to do these now and again, and schedule a standard defrag, which is very quick.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017