defragmenter

hcir 18:48 18 Jul 2006

Having a problem accessing the defrag in windows xp sp2

when i try to access it it comes up with a box saying:-

mmc cannot open the file c:\windows\system32\dfrg.msc.

this may be because the file does not exist, is not an mmc console, or was created by a later version of mmc. this may also be because you do not have sufficient access rights to the file.

i have never had a problem with accessing this before and has only happened recently i think. i have tryed downloading the diskeeper free trial to but the same message is coming up bar the file name

Have recently uninstalled all my internet security including a disc cleanup due to it not working properly and am thinking that this may have caused the problem

Help please!!!!!!

VoG II 18:52 18 Jul 2006

Try Start, Run, type

sfc /scannow

and click OK. You may be asked for your Windows CD.

click here

hcir 21:13 18 Jul 2006

tryed this took about half an hour to check all files then just dissapeared didnt appear to do anything

Diversion 00:16 19 Jul 2006

I think I'm right in saying you have to restart the PC after sfc /scannow for it to reconfigure any rectifications that it has done whilst running the scan.

YAMA 02:43 19 Jul 2006

GO TO ACCESSORIES---SYSTEM TOOLS---SYSTEM RESTOR, AND GO BACK TO BEFOR YOU WERE HAVE TROUBLE, AND START FROM THERE, GO TO MY COMPUTER---PROPERTIES---TOOLS---DEFRAG---GOOD LUCK, NEXT TIME DO NOT PUSH TO MANY BUTTONS YOU FORGET WHAT YOU DID, AND SO MESS UP YOUR PC. YAMA

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?