Defragment Percentage Still High

babybell 10:14 30 Sep 2009

I'm running Vista on a 6 month old HP G60 laptop and recently it has began to run programs very slowly. I decided to defragment the Hard-Drive using Defragler and after running for around 30 minutes it said it had finished, however, the defragment % had dropped from around 45% to 28%. Despite running several times, the final defragment % never gets below 28%. Strangley, using the Defrag included with Norton 360 V3, shows that I do not require a defrag as its only at 2%, so not sure what's going on now. Any suggestions? PC still feels sluggish.

birdface 10:35 30 Sep 2009

Run the free version of this.

click here

It will check to see if there are any Virus or Malware problems on your computer.

mooly 10:58 30 Sep 2009

Or use Vista's built in defragmenter run as command prompt. This gives report and should if nothing is amiss bring it all down to under 1% fragmentation.

1. Right click command line prompt and run as administrator.
2. Type, defrag c: -a -v to generate detailed file report.
3. Type, defrag c: -v -r to run the defragmentation routine.(note this only defrags files> 64MB)
4. Type, defrag c: -v -w to defragment all file sizes.
5. Type, defrag c: -b to defragment boot files.
6. Type, defrag -? To display information help page.

mfletch 11:45 30 Sep 2009

I dont think it defrags the system restore so the more restore points you have the more % will be left

babybell 13:26 30 Sep 2009

Vista Defrag says everything is fine and agrees with Norton that the current fragmentation is 2%. Which begs the questions, why does a Defraggler analysis still show fragmentation of 28%?

DieSse 13:34 30 Sep 2009

"...why does a Defraggler analysis still show fragmentation of 28%?"

It doesn't work properly?

babybell 13:48 30 Sep 2009

I've just analyised with Defraggler and its now showing 31%. In the file list section of the analysis, it shows the following information:

Filename: {27b54-ad...} etc etc
Fragments: 17
Size: 10,752,004KB
Path: C:\System Volume Information

Right clicking on this file and selecting defrag highlighted, instantly brings up a message saying defrag complete - no files defragmented

Apart from that, there are 6 other lines but the sizes are no bigger than 256kb each.

gigagiggles 15:20 30 Sep 2009

hello.

as mfletch stated, system restore files are usually fragmented and cannot be defragmented. thus, vista defrag ignores it in its calculation. auslogics disk defrag shows it during its analysis but states the files are ignored for defragmentation. defraggler probably includes such fragmentation in its calculation.

mfletch 15:26 30 Sep 2009

Thanks gigagiggles

Turn off the system restore then do the defrag then turn the SR back on and create a new restore point.

Whats the result then,

babybell 20:44 30 Sep 2009

Turned off system restore and ran the analysis and it was 0%, so it was the system restore after all. Thanks for your help guys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?